AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Conversion tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I am having issues tracking conversions on my Google Analytics account.

I am currently using 2 ways of measuring the amount of sowftware installs taking place on my website: MixPanel tracks each download the moment it is started and Analytics should be measuring the amount of software installs by counting the amount fo visits our install landing page gets (it's a page confirming the download has started!).

Analytics is counting less than a half of those installations.

What I did so far:

- Confirmed we are using the Universal Analytics tracker

- Placed the tracker immediately above the closing tag </head> (it's was originally in the middle of that section, but for the past 2 days it's just above the </head> bit, as recommended on the google documentation)

- Confirmed a Goal is set for all the similar landing pages where that Goal can be tracked

So far, the Google Tag Manager keeps telling me "Code found outside of <head> tag" (for more than 2 days now) and the Analytics results do not match MIxPanel ones.

Additionally, I noticed that the Google Tag Manager hasn't reported any issue on any other website page, regardless of how the tracker has been placed inside the <head> section.

Does anyone have any advice on it? Is it supposed to take a long time for Analytics to reflect the changes made on the website?

Thanks,

Ana

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ana M
December 2015

Re: Conversion tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ana,

some possible reasons: (a) time delay between download click and confirmation-page loading (b) your tool measures clicks, Analytics sessions (you may refer to pageviews for comparison instead.

Addionally, do you mean "Google Tag Assistant" oder "Google Tag Manager" in your post?

Christoph

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ana M
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ana,

some possible reasons: (a) time delay between download click and confirmation-page loading (b) your tool measures clicks, Analytics sessions (you may refer to pageviews for comparison instead.

Addionally, do you mean "Google Tag Assistant" oder "Google Tag Manager" in your post?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your answer.

I meant Google Tag Assistant. I've installed that Chrome extension to try and assess the tracker behavior/performance.
Initially, I was having tracking issues on the download landing page only (even that the tracker placed on the website was placed in a bit of html that is common to all the webpages within our website). The Tag Assistant was displaying the error message about the script being outside of the head tag.
SInce I re-inserted the tracked just above the closing of the head tag, every single webpage is being retrieved teh same error message about the tracker not being detected inside teh header and some of the visits are not being tracked.

Let me stress that on GA, I am tracking visits, not click. (And MixPanel tracks the start of the download, which is even more reliable that tracking the click to download event).

Do you still think it's related with the loading time of the landing page? Anything else you would have tried yourself?

Thanks,
Ana