Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Conversion tracking cross domain clarification

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Setup:

website - test.com - using Tag Manager

web app - data.test.com using Universal Analytics

Flow:

User goes to test.com -> does some random stuff -> clicks on register-> register URL changes to data.test.com/register -> user creates and account

test.com and data.test.com/register send the same client ID to Googel Analytics. (however using GA debug I see that when I go from test.com -> data.test.com the referrer as test.com is set in the information sent to GA)

Problem:

Setting destination Goal as data.test.com/register-complete I get the following Goal previous URL path:

GOAL                                                   URL -1                                        URL -2                    URL -3

/register-complete                           data.test.com/register           (entrance)             (not set)

Clarification:

The reverse goal paths are incorrect. 

1. If the same client ID is sent, does it mean that the cross-domain is implemented?

2. If the cross-domain tracking is working, why are the Goal paths incorrect?

Thanks for taking time to help!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tadas P
March 2016

Re: Conversion tracking cross domain clarification

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Tadas,

a quick couple of questions:

* Does test.com GTM include Universal Analytics, or another version of Analytics? Cross-domain tracking enabled?
* Does data.test.com go into the same Analytics property? Web or app property? Cross-domain tracking enabled?
* client ID in Google Analytics is the anonymous cookie ID of the user. Do you use that in some way?
* did you enable Analytics user-ID feature for cross-device tracking?
* did you already include both host names in the referral-exclusion list?

Christoph

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tadas P
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Tadas,

a quick couple of questions:

* Does test.com GTM include Universal Analytics, or another version of Analytics? Cross-domain tracking enabled?
* Does data.test.com go into the same Analytics property? Web or app property? Cross-domain tracking enabled?
* client ID in Google Analytics is the anonymous cookie ID of the user. Do you use that in some way?
* did you enable Analytics user-ID feature for cross-device tracking?
* did you already include both host names in the referral-exclusion list?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

Thanks for the reply!

I think I have found the solution to my question, which mainly refers to your last question. The referral exclusion was not set up. Therefore each subdomain was counted as referrer and thus created a new session.

Thanks,
Tadas

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Glad to hear!