AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Tracking From Facebook Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I'm stuck working on conversion tracking for a client.  We are running Facebook ads and I'm trying to build funnels to track conversions and revenue through analytics.  There are a few issues:

1. Does the URL change when the Facebook ad is show in a users news feed?  

2. The client uses Enrollware so upon registration the user is brought to a third party site where the thank you page is launched.

3.  There are multiple options for registration (dates/time).  Will it even be possible to track conversions this way? Or will new funnels need to be built each month?

Any insight on this would be great!  

Re: Conversion Tracking From Facebook Ads

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jenny,

1. Does the URL change when the Facebook ad is show in a users news feed?   

Are you tagging all the links that you use in your ads on Facebook? I mean, if you create a new ad, do you attach UTM parameters at the end of the URL?

2. The client uses Enrollware so upon registration the user is brought to a third party site where the thank you page is launched.

You'll need to use cross-domain tracking in order to track users across domains. Is it possible on Enrollware to install Google Analytics or GTM code (JavaScript code) on it? If not, unfortunately, you cannot track those interactions and conversions that happen on a third-party website. :/

3.  There are multiple options for registration (dates/time).  Will it even be possible to track conversions this way? Or will new funnels need to be built each month?

If you're able to install tracking code (JS code) on a registration page then yes, it's possible. It will be technically a bit more complicated but it's possible.

First of all, try to make sure is it possible to insert your GA or GTM code on a third-party website or not. Then we can move forward. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have not added UTM parameters (is the the best way to track the campaign?) to the Facebook campaign but I do know I can add GA code to the Enrollware page.  

This is a huge help thank you!  

Re: Conversion Tracking From Facebook Ads

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I have not added UTM parameters (is the best way to track the campaign?) to the Facebook campaign.

Yes, UTM campaign parameters help you measure the effectiveness of different campaigns and ads. Recommend reading this article to learn more about that.

I do know I can add GA code to the Enrollware page.

Hopefully, I understood correctly and this customer journey will look like this: Facebook ad -> Enrollware -> Third-party website.

First of all, you'll need to set up cross-domain tracking across those 2 different domains (Enrollware and third-party website) and you have 2 options:

1) To use Google Analytics and follow this process to implement cross-domain tracking.

2) To use Google Tag Manager and follow this process to implement cross-domain tracking.

It's up to you which one you'd like to use. I personally prefer GTM because I have used it before.

If you've done it, let us know. We'll help you make sure that you've done it correctly.

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. It will be a bit complicated (technical) implementation if you haven't done it before.

Cheers,

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much for all the info.  I've started to read through some of the links.  The tagging is slightly confusing.  I understand the purpose but am more afraid of creating the wrong tags and not getting the correct data back.  If the path is Facebook ad->landing page->enrollware (completed conversion) do I need a tag from Facebook only (source & medium)?  

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Jenny, good job! Let's go deeper. I will try to explain it. Smiley Happy

If you're advertising on Facebook, you should create a tagged URL using this official campaign URL builder. If you've tagged your URLs correctly, everything is fine and you don't have to worry about getting wrong data. If you're not 100% sure that you've done it correctly, you can post an example here in this topic and we'll take a look and will give you feedback.

If the path is Facebook ad->landing page->enrollware, you'll only need to tag a link on Facebook. The session will start on your landing page and if you've configured cross-domain tracking across your landing page and enrollware, the same session continues and conversions will be attributed correctly. You'll only need to make sure that you've implemented cross-domain tracking properly because if it's broken, you won't see accurate data in Google Analytics.

Again, if you've configured cross-domain tracking, you can send us a link and we'll go through this path and will make sure that it works properly. Just share a link and describe the user journey and we'll take a look. Smiley Happy

Let me know if you have any further questions, Jenny. Gladly help you with those things.

Cheers,

Taavi