AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Goals in Third-Party Registration Help

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We are trying to track the flow of a user, conversions. Individuals will be registering for an event. The external event registration software we use does not allow us to customize the confirmation message or redirect the user to destination page that can integrate tracking ID. We do have the ability to send the user an HTML confirmation e-mail upon registration. Does anyone have a suggestion on how we can embed something in the source of the e-mail that can track and register them as a goal completion?

For example, here is what we are trying to track (using funnels in Goals)

Landing page >

Click Button to Register >

Third-Party Registration service  (cannot redirect or change success message - lives on an external server and not part of the GA ID) > 

Confirmation e-mail that supports HTML

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

If you have a way to create a unique string (like the registration id, time, etc) as a variable as part of your confirmation in the HTML, you can use that variable as the User ID (uid) and utilize the Measurement Protocol: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/email

In several similar situations in the past, I've just used a link in the email back to a custom landing page on our own site with a special offer (click here to get a thank sticker, register for a special giveaway, etc) and tracked these pages as a surrogate.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately, while we can include a link to a landing page in the HTML, we can't require it so it would drop off tracking at that point. 

Thanks for the info on the Measurement Protocol approach. It sounds like something we may be able to do, or at least explore. How would we then integrate this - the tracking of opened e-mails-  into the Google Analytics Goal which is using destination URL and funnels to track the flow and process?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

When I use Measurement Protocol for off-site tracking, I set the variables to record as a non-interaction event.  You can use an event as a goal in Google Analytics.  Since there is no way to connect the email opens with the site visits, lack of a funnel really isn't an issue.  There isn't a trackable flow if you can't pass the CID in the form all the way through the email response.

You won't track 100% of opens in this way (which is why I prefer the irresistable link back to the website) - you will miss anyone who has images blocked in their email client.  For most audiences, this is a relatively small number.