Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Conversion/Goal Tracking

kph
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
kph
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I advertise on different websites to promote my business. I can tell what traffic comes to my website via these websites through Google Analytics. Easy. I also put on goal tracking and can track how many conversions (sales)I get. Got it.  But what I am having a hard time with is finding which website gave me the sale (goal tracking).

So, I can tell XYZ.com website got someone to visit my website. I can tell that someone on my website purchased something. Now how can I track that the customer came from referral site (XYZ.com) to my site (ABC.com) all the way through to my checkout URL?

Any help would be so appreciated!!! Thank you !!!

Conversion/Goal Tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

this is actually pretty straightforward if I understand you correctly. You can ad (source / medium) as a secondary dimension in the "Goal URls" Report or go to the source / medium section in the goal overview report. 

Is this what you are looking for?

David

Re: Conversion/Goal Tracking

kph
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
kph
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a ton for your answer. I appreciate it, but I don’t think it worked.

I pay to be linked from XYZ.com and ABC.com websites. Pretty easy to tell how many hits I get off those sites.

I installed the tracking code so I can tell how many people go to my site, call it 123.com, and buy something. I want to know how many of the people that bought something came from XYZ.com and how many came from ABC.com.

I went through XYZ.com and clicked on the link to my site and bought something. Under “Goal Source Completion Location ” “Source/Median” has my website (123.com) or (direct)/(none) and not the referring website (either XYZ.com or ABC.com).

I know the information is there, but no sure how I can get where did the sale originate from.

I hope this helps. I so think it is something easy, but have not been able to figure it out for a week! Thanks!

Conversion/Goal Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

From the conversation above, I assume that you have ecommerce enabled, as you mentioned "purchased something". I am not quite sure you have UTM tagging enabled for the referral sources, if yes, you can go to Acquisition > All Traffic > Source Medium - there you will see the sources / medium. You can now click on the ecommerce tab under "explorer" and you will see the associated revenue sources. 

I highly recommend to tag your URLs when driving paid / non paid traffic to better understand your ROI / Channel Efficiency. If done right, you can also go to Campaigns Under Acquisition and see the same metrics. 

If you don't have ecommerce tracking enabled & are purely depended on goal URL visits, you can go to Behavior > Site Content > All content pages and search for the URLs, and once you find the URL, under secondary dimension, select Source / Medium. 

I am keen to know if this helps. 

kph
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
kph
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Thanks a ton for your response. I appreciate it!

I own the abalonia.com. I can track how many hits I get from bedandbreakfast.com and our local chamber’s website Ogunquit.org (and others).

Folks enter these sites, go directly to abalonia.com check out my inn and hopefully click on my reservation link on the website: https://secure.iqres10004.com/iqreservations/asp/IQHome.asp. If they go through the reservation process and actually make a reservation, I get a goal conversion because I put in the tracking on the final reservation step. It works perfect!

So, I can see how many people come to my website from these two sources. I can see when someone makes a reservation. But what I cannot determine is the ROI on these two websites because I cannot tell where the guest originally came from that made the reservation. When I look at the source/median it says “abalonia.com”(not bedandbreakfast.com or Ogunquit.org) which kinda makes sense since they did enter my website before going into the reservation and making the conversion. But I want to know how guests actually making the reservation originally came to the website.

Yes, Ecommerce is activated. Smiley Happy I tried UTM tagging, but when I Google this it only seems to be applicable to Google Adwords or specific ads, not referral websites like bedandbreakfast.com.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your advice on this one. Thanks!

Ken

Conversion/Goal Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I think you're having an issue because you're sending your users to a different domain to make a reservation. The referral information of the promotional websites is not able to carry over to the reservation domain (and is thus being replaced with your own domain).

In order to get the data you're looking for, you'll need to add Google Analytics tracking code to all pages of the reservation domain and update the tracking code to enable cross-domain tracking. The documentation for cross-domain tracking is here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342.

Good luck!

Conversion/Goal Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Ken, 

Now I see a more clear picture. UTM tagging is not AdWords specific, it can be used to tag the campaign source and medium. Say if you have an FB campaign, you can still use the UTM tagged URL to make Google Analytics informed about your source. 

Why the sales source data is tripped off is because the user is taken to https://secure.iqres10004.com/iqreservations/asp/IQHome.asp for completing the booking. This URL is not passing on the source / medium back to your ecommerce thank you page. 

You can follow the link Kirsten send below to enable cross domain tracking. 

Let me know if that helped. 

kph
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
kph
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks!  I think you are on the right track.  I put the new code in every page of the secondary domain, but I cannot figure out how to change the snippet for the primary domain.  I go under Google Analytics, Admin, Tracking Info, Tracking Code and I cannot put in the new code and that field seems unchangeable. I tried searching it online, but I do not see anything.  I think I am sooo close.  Any advice.  Thank you all for everything!

Conversion/Goal Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi kph, 

Are you using the Google Analytics Dashboard for WordPress plugin on your primary domain? If so, it looks like you can turn on cross domain tracking by going to Google Analytics > Tracking Code > Advanced Settings. There's an on/off toggle for cross domain tracking and you'll need to enter the domain of your reservation portal.

Hopefully that helps!