AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Conversion Funnel - Multiple Conversion URLs - Problem

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

PrestaShop has multiple conversion URLs depending on the payment type used. I therefore used GTM to trigger a GA event, which I use to set up a goal to use for a conversion funnel (the goal works fine). However, I now find that only URL goals can have funnels associated with them.

What is the usual way of working around this problem? regexing the multiple thank you page names? Creating a virtual page view (I hear this messes up page view stats)? Is there someway I can use my goal event to create conversion funnels that I haven't thought of? Or is there some avenue that is a better idea?

Thanks!

Ed

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

First, event goals can't have funnels.

One solution is to setup virtual pageviews for each step in your funnel. I don't think this necessarily qualifies as "messing up pageview stats". If the user actually sees/perceives different steps, I think it's only fair to log them as individual (pageview) steps.

Another approach is to create an (event) goal for each step. Then setup these step goals in a custom report beginning with the first step/goal and ending with the last. You won't get a visulization, but it will mimic and show you the completion from step to step. This also has the benefit of allowing you to segment the funnel (e.g. for mobile users only).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Phillip!

The problem is that the page view is already being tracked. It shows to the user as a new page, and is counted as such. If I added a virtual page view, I would have to remove the normal page view. However, if I remove the default page view, that is definitely an option.

Goals: I would live the visual rep of the funnel, so while I'm working here, I might as well set it up right. The fact that you can't get a visual rep using goals is a bummer... for me that would be the perfect solution.

Last night, I found https://moz.com/community/q/google-analytics-goal-multiple-page-destinations, which recommends using regex to match the various pages. After I finally get though my urgent emails, I will try the approach outlined on moz.

Thanks for your time!

Ed

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

In that case, the easiest should be to use a regex to capture all of the different destination URLs for the goal.

What do you mean that PrestaShop have different thank you URLs? Do they follow the same "pattern"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Phillip,

No, they have 2 different patterns. For bank transfer and credit card, the order success page is /confirmacion-pedido?id_cart=zzz&id_module=zzz&reference=zzz&key=zzz. For PayPal, it's /module/paypal/submit?key=zzz&id_module=zzz&id_cart=zzz&id_order=zzz.

Regex works, btw.

However, since my product and category pages are all individually named with SEO friendly text, my funnel is only cart to payment. I'm reading now, but I'm assuming that I'm going to HAVE to use virtual page views to get a decent view of my full funnel.

I want goal flow visualization using events! Bummers!

Thanks for your help!

Ed

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

In that case, you don't necessarily need to use virtual pageviews as such on category and product pages.

You could just modify the pageview hit on those pages to append a parameter to the page path.

By default, Analytics will send the page path and any query parameters in a pageview.

But by using the "Fields to set" in e.g. GTM, you can just append something like "?pagetype=category" to the page hit for category pages.

You would of course need to be able to identify the pagetype in the code, so you can detect the pagetype and set it in the dataLayer (if using GTM) or by directly modifying the page field in the tracking code (if using inline Analytics implementation).