AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Connect GTM-Events and Goals in GA?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm confused how to connect a GTM-Event with a GA-Conversion-Goal.

I define an Event in Google Tag Manager and set the values:

„Categorie/Action/Label“. It works and "fired" on the site.

In Analytics I want define this Event as a Conversion-Goal.

To connect the „event“ on the website with the „Conversion-Goal“ in UA, did I have to choose the same parameters in the Conversion-Setup („Categorie/Action/Label“)? I set up a Conversion-Goal in GA.

How did Universal Analytics know, that Event X (defined in the GTM) activate the Conversion-Goal (in UA)?

I didn't define any "action"-reference in the Goal. I just choose the type "event".

How did I connect the event with the event?

In the setup of the event I can define a site-path, spezial button on the site etc., on which parameter it should fire. That works very good. How did I define to which event the goal ost connected?

Greetz.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Connect GTM-Events and Goals in GA?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Moritz,

there is no real connection between GTM and GA yet you only push an event, a GA event, via GTM.

So whatever you defined inside GTM GA Tag - category, action, label you can use it in the Goal setup inside GA admin (event type goal).

When GA receives the hit, in this case an event type hit, if it matches the values you set up inside the Goal admin it will report it as a goal completion.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net