AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Confused about using segments for visitor type

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. I was reading this article:

http://www.smartinsights.com/google-analytics/google-analytics-segmentation/segmenting-google-analyt...

in my efforts to find more information about creating a segment for email marketing campaigns. The beginning of the article really made sense to me but I started to get confused as I started to go through that list of 10 types of segmentation.

For example, what value is there in creating a segment for New Visitors vs Returning Visitors? Can't I just go to Reporting > Audience > Behavior > New vs Returning?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Confused about using segments for visitor type

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
The report itself is not going to help you target customers whereas segments can be turned into a remarketing audience...
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan