AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Conflicting (site?) Conversion Rate Between Funnel Visualization and Ecommerce Overview

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi GA community members,

I've got a question about contradictory data. I'm trying to figure out why a site's conversion rate dropped progressively over time. One time period that I'm looking at is before/after a site redesign, that included a new mobile site, a new checkout and a new product inventory.

The problem is that the numbers look like this, for 4 weeks before to 4 weeks after.

Funnel visualization report: Rise in conversion rate from 0.97% to 1.27%

Ecommerce overview report: Drop in conversion rate from 1.94% to 1.28%. (Corresponds with a doubling in average order value, fyi.)

(There's a period where the data is missing; I'm assuming the GA tags were forgotten in the update, rather than that conversion rate dropped to 0. So I'm just looking at the 4 weeks before/after the point where the data dissappears. Not sure if that makes a difference.)

- How exactly does each report calculate the site's conversion rate? I.e. What's the numerator and denominator? I assumed it would be the same thing: Conversions / Sessions but perhaps I'm misstaken? I realize funnel visualization is about people entering the funnel, but the funnel conversion rate is 13% before and 15% after. 

- What possible explanations are there for something like this? Can someone have converted if they didn't enter the funnel (this is an ecom site)? Is there a way to view how goals were set up in the past, to see if there was a required step or something? Any other possible explanations?