Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Collecting personal info through analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm confused. As I understand, GA prohibits businesses from collecting PII such as email addresses. However, how would you personalize communication then?

Say, if I want to engage a lead on my website - can't I have access to his behavior on my website to better serve him? Or send a personalized email?

Could I create a custom variable to capture email address or is this not allowed? I saw a recent post on how KISSmetrics enables that. How are businesses implementing this then?

Thanks for your help. Am new to GA.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Monica S
November 2015

Re: Collecting personal info through analytics

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Monica, how are things?

Identifying individual users with any private information is totally against Analytics Privacy, as we can check here on item 7:
https://www.google.com/analytics/terms/us.html

Analytics doesn't allow advertisers to Personally identify the user in ANY way (IP, e-mail, name, etc), but one catch is that it allows you to attribute an ID for that specific user, like a random number, which will be passed along to your CRM tool, and then, outside of GA, you can identify the user like "ahh ok, I see here that the ID 75893242834 is Kim from New york", but again, this is made on your CRM, outside of GA.

"Say, if I want to engage a lead on my website - can't I have access to his behavior on my website to better serve him? Or send a personalized email?"

To his BEHAVIOR, Yes, but you can't personally identify him inside Analytics. The ideal scenario: Let's say I enter your website and you give me a UserID of 77777. I will not know me as Leandro on your analytics, but as 77777. What's 77777 doing? what pages did 77777 visited?

Later on, when I submit a form to you with my name, e-mail and phone, your website will pass along my UserID. On Analytics I'm mere 77777, but on your local CRM database, I'm both, 77777 also known as Leandro, e-mail xx@xx.com and phone YYY-YYY-YYY.

From what you have said, what KISSMetrics is doing is not allowed.

Take a look at this article for more information about User IDs:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3123662?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Monica S
November 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Monica, how are things?

Identifying individual users with any private information is totally against Analytics Privacy, as we can check here on item 7:
https://www.google.com/analytics/terms/us.html

Analytics doesn't allow advertisers to Personally identify the user in ANY way (IP, e-mail, name, etc), but one catch is that it allows you to attribute an ID for that specific user, like a random number, which will be passed along to your CRM tool, and then, outside of GA, you can identify the user like "ahh ok, I see here that the ID 75893242834 is Kim from New york", but again, this is made on your CRM, outside of GA.

"Say, if I want to engage a lead on my website - can't I have access to his behavior on my website to better serve him? Or send a personalized email?"

To his BEHAVIOR, Yes, but you can't personally identify him inside Analytics. The ideal scenario: Let's say I enter your website and you give me a UserID of 77777. I will not know me as Leandro on your analytics, but as 77777. What's 77777 doing? what pages did 77777 visited?

Later on, when I submit a form to you with my name, e-mail and phone, your website will pass along my UserID. On Analytics I'm mere 77777, but on your local CRM database, I'm both, 77777 also known as Leandro, e-mail xx@xx.com and phone YYY-YYY-YYY.

From what you have said, what KISSMetrics is doing is not allowed.

Take a look at this article for more information about User IDs:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3123662?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Monica S,

Google strictly prohibits you from collecting any PII into it's databases. What will probably serve your purposes of collecting potential lead information and then communication to them is the integration of a CRM like Marketo or Salesforce. These systems allow you to send in contact information through your website, again still not being captured through GA, and then setting up those means of communications.

So the main thing to rememeber is that you cannot collect personal information into GA - you can however collect things like a City name, or email service provider (yahoo.com, hotmail.com, live.com, etc.) but just nothing that identify an individual. If in doubt you will need to consult your legal team on these matters.

Hope this helps.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. That clarifies a lot.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. I guess I need to learn about CRM and Analytics integration.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
KISSMetrics may also be doing it at the CRM end since its an automation platform. Will learn more.