AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Clarification on revenue numbers reported in Assisted Conversions vs Acquisition/Campaigns

S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

So my question here today is:

In Analytics/Conversions/MCF/Assisted Conversions, Assisted Conversions is what Analytics will show you all transactions that AdWords was a part of, whether it's at the start or middle, EXCEPT for the end (last click).

In Analytics/Acquisition/Campaigns, Analytics will show you the total Revenue per Campaign you've run.

If I understand correctly, by default, Google Analytics uses the Last Non-Direct Click attribution model in all parts of GA, except for selected sections like Assisted Conversions or Model Attribution.

I will make a statement below, please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

1.) To find the Last non-direct click revenue attributable to my AdWords campaign, I go to Acqusition/Campaigns and look for my specific AdWords campaign, and find the Revenue reported there. (As an example let's say this is £10.)

2.) To find the Assisted Revenue attributable to my AdWords campaign, I go to Conversions/MCF/Assisted Conversions and read the Assisted Conversion Value. (As an example let's say this is £50.)

3.) These two values are not included in each other, hence I can say: AdWords was directly responsible for £10 in revenue, and assisted £50 in revenue. In total, including direct and indirect revenue, AdWords is responsible for £60 of revenue.

Could someone tell me if these 3 statements are right or wrong, please?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Clarification on revenue numbers reported in Assisted Conversions vs Acquisition/Campaigns

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey S T,

You are correct. 

In regards to the last non direct click in your example, just keep in mind that a user that does come direct, after any campaign touch, will show as the last campaign touch.  In other words, direct will never overwrite campaign information (organic, paid, email, etc.).

The one thing about assisted conversions is that all touches get credit.  So if AdWords assisted as in your example and email was also involved, they both get an assist.   Use the model comparison tool to get more granular on how much you want to divide up the attribution among the touch points.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Theo,

Thanks very much for your reply.

While I was thinking on this, I had two more questions I wondered if you could answer:

1.) For Assisted Conversions, all channels get credit for 100% of the revenue they were involved in, correct? So if a user goes Direct -> AdWords -> Email -> Direct -> Purchase of £100... 

Direct would get £100

Email would get £100

AdWords would get £100

Correct?

2.) If a user goes AdWords Campaign 1 -> AdWords Campaign 2 -> Purchase of £100

In Last non-direct click, the revenue would only be attributed to AdWords Campaign 2, correct?

Also, in Assisted Conversions, this would show up as £100 for AdWords Campaign 1 and £100 for AdWords Campaign 2?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey S T,

Yes double counting occurs in these reports - that said I've never done a test to "see" it on one test transaction with multiple touches.  

"Assisted Conversion Value is the total value associated with those conversions. As as result, double-counting can occur across rows or across assisted and last conversions."

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1191204?hl=en

The attribution modeling tool helps you cut through this. 

You can change your primary Dimension to see how campaigns play together or create a custom conversion segment to do more granular analysis - many AdWords dimension are available for this purpose;  and yes the last click (non direct) always gets all the credit in the standard reports.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn