Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Checkout behaviour analysis step 1 using virtual page view

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am new to Google Analytics data analysis so please forgive me if my questions sound stupid.

As suggested by our agency, we had chosen to fire a virtual page view when user clicks on the "Checkout" button and it becomes the step 1 in checkout behaviour analysis section.

My questions are,

1. I can see there is actually "Checkout Dropoff" in abandonments figures under step 1, but how come a user could even abandon anything about clicking a button?
  2. Just so happens if any behaviour has been tracked as dropoff, does the number indicate after the button was clicked, the user could not reach the next step in the checkout funnel?
  3. If the dropoff number was misunderstood here, what could it (possibly) be?

Thank you very much!

Bryan Yuen

Re: Checkout behaviour analysis step 1 using virtual page view

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Bryan,

As I understand it you're looking at Funnel Visualization. In this case you may have dropoff on first step. This is because when after step 1 you'll go to page that was not specified as step 2 in the funnel, GA will count it as exit.

Also GA has strange mechanism of attributing entrances and exits in Funnel Visualization. It always attributes entrances at highest possible level in funnel and exits at the lowest possible. So for example you entered from abc.com to step 3 and went back to step 2 where you exited to xyz.com. In funnel report you'll see opposite story: you entered from abc.com to step 2, went to step 3 and exited to xyz.com

Ad.2 - it only means that your user went to different page that you have specified as step 2

BTW. Could provide URL to page you're referring to?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much Olgierd!

Sorry that I am not able to share the page due to company obligations. But I am very interested in your mentioning entrance / exit attribution. Would you please explain more about it?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Bryan,

Google prepared a pretty nifty explanation guide here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2976313?hl=en

The part that you asked is explained in part named "Order of Funnel Steps".

If any of my replies answered your original question I'd be grateful if you could mark it as "Accepted solution". Also if you have any other questions or problems regarding Google Analytics please let me know - I'd be glad to help.