2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Changing event labels

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey All,

This is a combined GTM & GA query. We use a parallax site, with about 8 sections, and each of those sections has a "more" button that expands the section. Each of the "more" buttons has a class="moreX moreBtn loading" where X changes to identify the section in which it was clicked. I would like to track each of those buttons and push through the {{Click Classes}} as the label in my event. 

In Tag Manager, I have setup the event tag and required triggers to fire the tag when each of those buttons is clicked. I have my category, action and then the label is {{Click Classes}} and it all works great, but I was wondering if there's a way to customize the way the data shows up in GA. Right now, the events show as Button, Click, "more1 moreBtn loading" (the 1 means I clicked on the first "more" button), but I'd like to have it say something like Button, Click, Section 1 if the first button is clicked, and Section 2 as the label if the second button is clicked.

Is this possible? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zach B
December 2016

Changing event labels

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zach,

You can use a lookup table variable in GTM in order to do that.

It should look like that:

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 02.07.08.png

If you've done that, you can use this {{Sections}} variable in the event label field.

Hope this helps. @Zach B let us know how it goes.

Taavi

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zach B
December 2016

Changing event labels

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zach,

You can use a lookup table variable in GTM in order to do that.

It should look like that:

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 02.07.08.png

If you've done that, you can use this {{Sections}} variable in the event label field.

Hope this helps. @Zach B let us know how it goes.

Taavi

Changing event labels

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! I completely blanked on the functionality of the lookup table. 

I set it all up and it's working perfectly. Thanks again.