AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Changing event labels

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey All,

This is a combined GTM & GA query. We use a parallax site, with about 8 sections, and each of those sections has a "more" button that expands the section. Each of the "more" buttons has a class="moreX moreBtn loading" where X changes to identify the section in which it was clicked. I would like to track each of those buttons and push through the {{Click Classes}} as the label in my event. 

In Tag Manager, I have setup the event tag and required triggers to fire the tag when each of those buttons is clicked. I have my category, action and then the label is {{Click Classes}} and it all works great, but I was wondering if there's a way to customize the way the data shows up in GA. Right now, the events show as Button, Click, "more1 moreBtn loading" (the 1 means I clicked on the first "more" button), but I'd like to have it say something like Button, Click, Section 1 if the first button is clicked, and Section 2 as the label if the second button is clicked.

Is this possible? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zach B
December 2016

Changing event labels

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zach,

You can use a lookup table variable in GTM in order to do that.

It should look like that:

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 02.07.08.png

If you've done that, you can use this {{Sections}} variable in the event label field.

Hope this helps. @Zach B let us know how it goes.

Taavi

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zach B
December 2016

Changing event labels

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zach,

You can use a lookup table variable in GTM in order to do that.

It should look like that:

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 02.07.08.png

If you've done that, you can use this {{Sections}} variable in the event label field.

Hope this helps. @Zach B let us know how it goes.

Taavi

Changing event labels

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! I completely blanked on the functionality of the lookup table. 

I set it all up and it's working perfectly. Thanks again.