AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Change Goal ID / Goal Set from existing goals

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I recently setup goals in Google Analytic's using Events. At the time I didn't realize an order was being assigned in the "Goal ID / Goal Set". Now that I know, is there a way to change the goal id/set without having to setup the goals all over again?

Thanks.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Matt B

I'm not sure I understand your question. But you can't delete goals - only disable them. And you can't assign a different Goal ID/Goal Set to an existing goal.

What you can do is to duplicate the settings from one goal to another, and then disable the first.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @phillip,

I'm having the same problem as Matt and maybe I can give you a few more details on what is happening.

I set up the goals and then needed to change the order. I ordered them alphabetically and they appear in order in the Goals section of All Website Data. The problem is that the Goal ID / Goal Sets are out of order (under column ID). This affects how these goals are viewed in the goals overview page as they are ordered by Goal ID and not by my own order.

I then tried to change the goals to be in line with the Goal IDs... unfortunately, the historical data stays with the Goal ID and so, this will throw everything off.

Any idea how to change the Goal IDs themselves or how to otherwise order the Goals within the Conversions > Goals > Overviews page?

Thanks!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Bradley A,

It's not possible to change the IDs. And goals are always ordered by ID in default reports. So the answer is the same.

Or you could setup a custom report where you can control the order.

Phillip