Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Cannot map our products to the Enhanced Ecommerce system. Any advices?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I am writing you today because I am close to desperate: I've read all the documentation I could find about it, but still I don't seem to be able to map the products my website is trying to sell to the Enhanced Ecommerce system... Any time I try a new trick something gets untracked, so I was wondering if someone of you experts could help me a little...

Basically, my website sells english classes. The user sees a search page where he can choose a teacher, and then in the teacher profile page the user gets to choose how many classes to buy. For each teacher we sell four different "packs" of classes, each one with a different amount and a different price/discount. By clicking on a pack, the user is immediately sent to the checkout page, and after the payment it's sent to an order confirmation page. At least in theory, I expected this to be a simple case to map with google analytics... I don't even have a real "cart" to manage!

The flow just looks like this:

search > teacher details page > (choose a pack size) > checkout > confirm

My goal would be to properly track every step of the flow: I would like to register product impressions and product clicks in the search page, consider the loading of the teacher page as a "details view", and using the clicks on the packs as "add to cart" actions. Then, finally, I'd like to properly manage the checkout view and the confirm page view to properly track transactions.

Initially, I mapped the packs as "Google Analytics Products" and the teachers as "Google Analytics Categories". However, by acting this way, I found out that I cannot keep track of the user navigation behaviour in the first stages, as I cannot properly tell to google analytics that an user "saw" a certain category in the page nor when a user clicks on a category link to see the products inside. "Category Impressions" and "Category show detail" actions do not exist in EC yet, so I decided I needed some other way to handle these cases.

As a second try, I mapped teachers as "Products" with no specified price, and packs as "Product variants" with a precise price. This seemed to work, as now I can properly track every user action, but for some reason it still doesn't seem to be the right solution: this way, in fact, the system does not associate products and purchases. More precisely, I can read reasonable stats abot product performance, reasonable stats about checkout behaviours and so on, but every product has zero as revenue, and I don't know how good every teacher did in terms of earnings! Moreover, I don't seem to be able to extract any information about product variants, so even knowing which pack is more successful seems impossible.

I suspect the source of my problems is that I tried to do something "too weird" while mapping teachers and packs to Google Analytics Enhanced Ecommerce entities, but I didn't see any other viable option... 

Could a good soul help me by giving me some suggestion about how to overcome these issues?

Thank you

Matteo

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matteo A
November 2015

Re: Cannot map our products to the Enhanced Ecommerce system. Any advi

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Matteo,

the first thing you need to do is to plan what you want reported.

So your product is an english class.
Product attributes:
1. Teacher which can be a product name or sku
2. Pack size which can be quantity or variation - depends how you want it reported

Your search page is basically a product list where you can track product impressions and product clicks.

Your teacher page is the actual product detail page.

Choosing the pack size is just as choosing # of shirt you want to buy. (when you choose a pack are you automatically sent to cart / checkout page?) - this is when you would send an add to cart action.

Checkout starts with the initial funnel page - cart or an order overview page - so send step 1 checkout here.

The important thing is that the values for product / sku / id and similar need to be consistent throughout the user experience - so the product sku / id needs to be the same when you send product impressions, clicks, add to cart, product detail, checkout and purchase. If it is not the same or some info is missing GA will have a hard time attributing revenue to previous behaviour.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matteo A
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Matteo,

the first thing you need to do is to plan what you want reported.

So your product is an english class.
Product attributes:
1. Teacher which can be a product name or sku
2. Pack size which can be quantity or variation - depends how you want it reported

Your search page is basically a product list where you can track product impressions and product clicks.

Your teacher page is the actual product detail page.

Choosing the pack size is just as choosing # of shirt you want to buy. (when you choose a pack are you automatically sent to cart / checkout page?) - this is when you would send an add to cart action.

Checkout starts with the initial funnel page - cart or an order overview page - so send step 1 checkout here.

The important thing is that the values for product / sku / id and similar need to be consistent throughout the user experience - so the product sku / id needs to be the same when you send product impressions, clicks, add to cart, product detail, checkout and purchase. If it is not the same or some info is missing GA will have a hard time attributing revenue to previous behaviour.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot Zorin,
After reading your response where you considered my usage of the "variation" field as something viable (and not a misuse as I initially thought), I double-checked my entire reporting process, and found a bug in the sku calculation formula, exactly as you said! By fixing that field now it seems that the system si properly gathering the expected information... I am letting few days to pass to gather enough data to thoroughly analyze it, but all seems to be good up now!

Best regards, and thank you again
Matteo