1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Cannot add a Goal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Despite me having set up the Industry in my Property, I cannot select a template or create a custom Goal - the boxes are greyed out. Any ideas? Am I being a total Goal noob? I've used GA for some years but never saw the need for Goals until now...

I've tinkered in the past and found them easy to set up in previous years, but for some reason the interface refuses to let me select a template or indeed check the option for custom...

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Cannot add a Goal

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

setting the industry has no bearing on goals ;-)

Go to Admin > View > Goals and see if the red NEW button is there.
If it's not there, then you do not have Edit rights and you'll need to talk to your account admin.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Paul,

Please check if you have "Edit" permissions on the view where you want to set up the goal.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've got the red button as it's my own GA account and my email address I use has 'admin' access to the Property. I can see the various options after I click New, but they are rendered unusable as when I hover over say the templates, a grey background appears. Same for custom... Can't select any option and can't continue as it tells me I must select one first... Very puzzled...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Can you share a screenshot maybe?
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Will do... I'll try to capture exactly what's happening.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK - so 've tried my best to capture what I am experiencing: Hopefully you can see that I have the ability to create a new Goal, but when I hover over the options this greyed out area appears... preventing me from selecting any option either r from template or custom.

OK - so the image upload refuses to work - this isn't exactly a user-friendly experience I got right here! Why oh why do I get this message when I try to save the post with four images I've captured locally?

"Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."

???  not even a smiley allowed?

Grrrr! 

OK - URLs to photos here:

http://www.garbutt.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ab-googleanalytics-1.png

http://www.garbutt.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ab-googleanalytics-2.png

http://www.garbutt.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ab-googleanalytics-3.png

http://www.garbutt.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ab-googleanalytics-4.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Paul G,
I have the same issue; have you solved it already?
thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The silence is deafening, Gerard! No, no responses yet as to why this happens... I still await good news...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Paul,
same problem here.
I think it was possible to add goals until I linked analytics with Google Search Console and Adwords. I have not found an easy way to unlink them so I'm not sure if that's the cause.
do you also have analytics linked to Console and AdWords?
thanks
Hector