AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Can we setup a page on a separate site as a goal?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're trying to track the conversion of a click on an 'Apply Now' button which takes the visitor to a page on a different website.  Our client is required to host the application form we're trying to get conversions on.  What's the best way to do this with Analytics?

Note - we can get the client to add tracking code to their page.

Thanks very much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David Z
April 2016

Re: Can we setup a page on a separate site as a goal?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, it will work even if you just put on two of their pages. Data will be sent to your property based on ID.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,
IMO best way is event tracking in your case.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
As said by Santosh, best way is event tracking directly on your website.

I already had to set-up a similar tracking solution for a client, I added the tracking code on the page and I was able to follow the conversions. But as the other website went under several modifications, we eventually lost a lot of tracking informations and finally went back to the event tracking solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you!
We have setup event tracking. That doesn't really allow us to automatically track conversions though. Ie. people who fill out the form on the other site.

How do I create the proper code to have our client put on their pages? (Form page and confirmation page.)

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

You need to modify your tracking snippet for cross-domain tracking and put it on the client's pages.
It looks like below:

ga('create', 'UA-XXXXXXX-Y', 'auto', {'allowLinker': true});
ga('require', 'linker');
ga('linker:autoLink', ['clientdomain.com'] );

See this article for details:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en#GA

Thanks,

Marko

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Looks great Marko! Very helpful article. It says we need to put the code on all of the clients pages, but we only want to track 2 of their pages. Will it still work if we only update the code on those 2 pages?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David Z
April 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, it will work even if you just put on two of their pages. Data will be sent to your property based on ID.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks very much Marko. It looks like we're tracking that goal fine. Smiley Happy