Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Can user retention be a goal? (for use with experiments)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Context: Our primary website focus right now is user retention (does the user return after 1 week, after 1 month, after 3 months?). We want to run GA Experiments to increase retention. GA Experiments require a "Goal". 

My question: How can I create a Google Analytics Goal for any of the following user retention metrics?

1. Goal: Returned after 1 week (User visited the site at least once, more than 7 days after their first visit)
  2. Goal: Returned after 1 month (User visited the site at least once, more than 1 month after their first visit)
  3. Goal: Returned after 3 months (...)

Side note about cohorts and segments: I am aware that retention can be viewed on the "cohorts" page, and that "segments" could be used to track a specific cohort of users, however I don't see a way to run an experiment whose goal relates to data on the cohorts page or in a segment.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

You can achieve this by implementing the User ID into  your data. Please read here https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3123662?hl=en

Thanks

Sura

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sura. I've investigated this option and I am unable to see any way integrating User ID would allow me to create a GA "Goal" that is based on (for example) 7+ day retention. Can you please provide some guidance on how you would use User ID to create a GA Goal that is met when, for example, a user returns to the site 10 days after their first visit? Thanks -Jared

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jared, I am currently looking for the same way to set an experiment based on exactely what you have mentioned above. Did you find the solution? Would very much appreciate your insights! Thanks in advance, Mihaela