Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Can the value of the event be updated after it's saved?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We set up goals for our corporate website which has lead forms. When the "inquire" link is clicked by a lead, an event is triggered with a unique label and the value of 1. Later, when we overview these leads and decide on a value we would like to update those 1's in Analytics.

For example, in Analytics event labels and values are saved like this:

1231 1

1344 1

1567 1

Then we decide on the quality of the leads and want to make it like this:

1231 50

1344 9000

1567 350

Is it possible to achieve this? I looked into Data Import but I cannot even see any Event-related fields there.

TLDR; Since we don't know the transaction "value" at the time of event, we want to update it after it's saved by Google.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Deniz T
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
You might find the following articles a useful read and starting points to what you are wanting to do

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2014/03/04/tracking-offline-transactions-universal-analytics/
https://www.distilled.net/resources/a-comprehensive-guide-to-tracking-offline-interactions-in-google...

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Deniz T
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You might find the following articles a useful read and starting points to what you are wanting to do

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2014/03/04/tracking-offline-transactions-universal-analytics/
https://www.distilled.net/resources/a-comprehensive-guide-to-tracking-offline-interactions-in-google...

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the links. They talk about offline user tracking, and the only way I can relate to this is if we disable the event tracking on the forms, and trigger an event manually after we receive the lead with the correct value since none of these address updating existing data. Am I correct on my assumption?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hmm.. i see what you mean. Sorry, I need to stop speed reading.

I dont think you can change the original event value. 

Manually sending thru a 2nd event with the same label as the original lead one, would create another event and not update the initial one but would allow you to then give it a value of your choice and associate it to the lead via the event label.

This is entirely off the top of my head with no deep thought
What I would be inclined to do is to capture the GA CID and store it in a Custom Dimension
Keep the current form event and use that event to send the custom dimension with the GA CID as its value to GA..and also have it send the GA CID with the lead form info to your CRM to store it

Create another Custom Dimension name it something like Conversion.. and then when they convert, send thru the 2nd event with the same label, and new value, using measurement protocol, you have the GA cid from the first event/lead form so as to tie it together fairly accurately

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

Can somebody make me a bullet point list of How Google analytics can help on Banking Online Industry?

I would be more than happy if you could help me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you. In the end you had the right idea, and your links were helpful. We are testing this now. We assign a "user ID" to a visitor in analytics if they click on a button, and initiate the first event. We include this ID embedded in their initial inquiry. When we decide to update this lead's value, we send another event hit with a new value using the user ID that came to us. This second hit is done manually (Excel template generates the URL for us) Hopefully Google can connect the rest so we know which campaign/keywords are the most valuable.