Analytics
7K members online now
7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Can multiple events lead to a single goal?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it possible to have a single goal trigger from more than one event. I don't need all the events to trigger just one of several. For example, if I set up 3 events, one for when people click to "go to amazon" from a page, one if they click to go to amazon from the sidebar and one if they click to purchase at another site. That is 3 events and I am interested in them separately for design reasons. But as far as goals are concerned, I am just interested in their "intent to purchase" so don't need the breakdown. Instead of 3 different goals stemming from these 3 events, I'd like to have just one goal that tells me they performed any one of these events.

Is that possible? If so, how?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can multiple events lead to a single goal?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

EDIT: actually I just re-read your question and I think you would find a better result by using event categories/labels/actions.

you can class your events and then view them grouped - that seems a lot closer to what you need.

Resource: http://www.seerinteractive.com/blog/event-tracking-explained/

Hi that's a great question.
Some ideas
1. You can set a page that loads briefly before passing on to Amazon - have code on that page that triggers your 'goal' - then any of those 3 ways of getting to Amazon will trigger that one goal
2. You 'might' be able to achieve this using the new Calculated Metrics (CM) feature - but not sure on that have only played with it a little and not to do this - but if you made each of those events to be a goal e.g. goal 1,2,3 then made a CM that was those three goals combined then maybe that would give you what you want - plus if you added another button somewhere else you could add event-goal-add to CM and grow it
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6121409?hl=en

Are these links/events on the same page?
As then you may want to use Enhanced link Attribution to identify individual clicks on buttons https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2558867?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi,

yes it is quite doable. The goal setting should use regex matching which in your case will result in:
Category equals Amazon
Action regex sidebar|productPage|any

This will report goal completion +1 if any of these events happened within the session. Additional events inside the session matching the condition will not inflate the goal completion metric (within the session).

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks David! I think one of your 2 original suggestions sounds like what I need. Both sound like good ideas. I'll check out the CM feature, I haven't read up on that yet. I already use event labels and just grouping them isn't quite what I need. I want to see them in the goals column in various reports.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks! I'll have to read up on regex matching. If it was only matching the category that would be perfect and simple. Sounds like there's more to it than that.