Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Can follow created tags in Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a website (www.utiesmenke.nl) of which I want to follow 2 conversions:

-visit contact page

-click on a mailto: link

In Tag Manager I created 2 Universal analytics tags, on Clickto, on Pagevisit.

If I test them with Preview in Tag Manager: they show the desired behaveour

In Analytics I set the right Tracking-ID in Properties.

But there are no conversions showing up in Analytics. Also not If I visit the contact page of my website or click on the mailto-links.

What may I be doing wrong?

Kind regards,

Hubert

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi.. im a little confused by your post

In Analytics I set the right Tracking-ID in Properties.

You dont set the tracking id in properties. The Google Analytics system sets and assigns the tracking ID for a property when a Property is created, its not something the GA user has control over.

But there are no conversions showing up in Analytics. Also not If I visit the contact page of my website or click on the mailto-links

Did you create Goals in Analytics?

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012040?hl=en

If you are trying to test goals, a goal will only register as a conversion once during the same session. 
You should be able to see conversions in the real time reports, however you will need to clear cookies and cache each time you retest in order to end the current session and start a new one.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Can follow created tags in Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am even more confused. I have read through tons of help pages of Google to find out what I should od, but it doesn't work.

In GTM I created a tag:

Tag type universal analytics

Track Type: Pageview

Google Analytics Setting: a Google Analytics Settings variable I created which seems to hold the right UA-... ID

I attached also a working trigger

Now I can create goals, but I do nut understand how I can connect a goal with the tag I made! I am able to make a destionation goal that tracks when someone visits a specific page, but I do nut understand what the link is with the GTM Tag.

Can you explain?

Regards,

Hubert

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

Now I can create goals, but I do nut understand how I can connect a goal with the tag I made! I am able to make a destionation goal that tracks when someone visits a specific page, but I do nut understand what the link is with the GTM Tag.

If your pageviews are being reported in Google Analytics as expected, 

if you then want visits to the Contact Page to be a Goal,

then in GA create a destination Goal.. with the destination url being the same as the 

url for the Contact Page in the GA Behaviour > Site Content > Pageview report.

If you are tracking clicks as events on the Mailto link.
Then in GA you would create a 2nd goal.. this one would be an event Goal

and you would configure it based on the event category, action and/or label information

that is being triggered and sent to GA by the event tag you have created in GTM

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

You seem to have both Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics installed on the site:
Analytics for tracking id UA-50551011-1 being installed via Universal Google Analytics Plugin by PB Web Development

If you are using Google Tag Manager, Google Tag Manager is used to install and configure the ga tracking via a Universal Analytics tag.
In which case the GA tracking code snippet does not also get added to the website.

To learn the basics of using Google Tag Manager and how to use it to setup google analytics tracking

I suggest the following free learning resource

https://analytics.google.com/analytics/academy/course/5

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand what you are saying. I can create events (pageview or click on mailto) in GA which are being shown then in the analytics.

But I thought the whole idea was to create these in GTM? What si the use of GTMN if I have ot create the events in GA?

Hubert

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

But I thought the whole idea was to create these in GTM? What si the use of GTMN if I have ot create the events in GA?

It is... you create them in GTM. GTM does not report any data though. 
GTM is not an analytics/reporting too.. it is a tag management tool..

The tags you create in GTM (whether for triggering pageview hits.or events hits etc).. 

the hit information eg page url or event information eg category/action/label

is then passed to and shown in the GA reports.

GTM is an alternative to way of installing and configuring Google Analytics on your website.
You still need to use GA to view the reports, and create/report things like goals, and so forth

As per my last response, I highly recommend 
the following free learning resource

to learn about GTM 

https://analytics.google.com/analytics/academy/course/5

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I went through the training.

I created 3 Universal analytics tags:

-every page

-contact page

-click Mailto

In GTM preview they fire as expected.

When I go to GA realtime mode: no activity is shown. Whereas, according to the training, all the events I created in GTM preview mode, should show up.

So what is going wrong?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Meanwhile:

I found out I had myself filtered out from Analytics. When I removed the filter, I do get activity in the reale time view of GA.

But: only pageviews.

If I remove the tag from GTA that triggers at all page views: still I see the pageviews in GA realtime.  SO there seems ot be no link between what I do in GTM and GA.

Hope this helps.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

I created 3 Universal analytics tags:

-every page

-contact page

-click Mailto

The contact page tag is not necessary.. that contact page would be tracked by the pageview tag, triggered on every site page.. 

In GTM preview they fire as expected.

When I go to GA realtime mode: no activity is shown. Whereas, according to the training, all the events I created in GTM preview mode, should show up.

They wont if you are in preview mode, they will only track in GA once the GTM container with the tags is published.
Also as you mentioned, if your visits are blocked by a filter applied to a View in GA.. then it wont show in the reporting at all

unless the filter is removed

If I remove the tag from GTA that triggers at all page views: still I see the pageviews in GA realtime.  SO there seems ot be no link between what I do in GTM and GA.

As per one of my earlier replies to you

You seem to have both Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics installed on the site:
Analytics for tracking id UA-50551011-1 being installed via Universal Google Analytics Plugin by PB Web Development

If you are using Google Tag Manager, Google Tag Manager is used to install and configure the ga tracking via a Universal Analytics tag. In which case the GA tracking code snippet does not also get added to the website.

Currently when i test the site with chrome dev console, the GA tracking is being fired via the GA tracking code snippet..not GTM.

1) Have you published the GTM container
2) Is the tracking ID being used in the UA Tag in GTM for UA-50551011-1