AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Can GA tell me how many users who saw certain page on the their path also registered?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can google analytics reports answer that question: how many goals completion were achieved by users who viewed a specific page (or set of pages) in their path.

I want to add a holiday deals page to my site and want to see how many users who registered also saw that page.

is that doable?

In other words, I want to see the effect of that page and since it won't be a landing page I'm not sure how can you quantify it's contribution.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Can GA tell me how many users who saw certain page on the their path also registered?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes Certainly.

You have a create a funnel with the holiday deals page for your goal,where the first step of your funnel will be that holiday deals page.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK - let me see if I got it:

I already have a subscription goal with funnel - so I create a new subscription goal but this time with the first (and only) step set the deal page  - it should be a required step, no?

2 more questions:

1. does the funnel pages accept regex? I will probably need to set a set pf pages as the deals is a category - mysite.com/deals...

2. does the first step in the funnel means that the user saw that page in the the path or that he STARTED with that page?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi just,

that's right - you can't actually view "Page"-dimension data together with goal-conversion data in GA.

As a kind of substitute, Google Analytics offers the page-value metric [1] to to answer questions of this kind for pages.

For an ad-hoc report you may also create relevant custom segments, for example sessions that contained the page of interest, or sessions that contained a registration [2].

For a permanent solution, consider creating content groups [3] (often rule-set ones are easiest). You could also create a group containing a single page. The good thing is that content-group data is, contrary to page data, indeed viewable with conversion data at a glance.

Best, Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2695658?hl=en

[2] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3124493?hl=en#create

[3] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853546?hl=en

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello webfield,

I just want to know if we can use regex in funnel  step pages ? I am not sure.

@Just M yes your answer for no 2 question 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Yes, you can use regex in funnel steps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks that is super helpful!

1. if I go with the funnel solution - do I need to duplicate the current goal?

@webfield

2. page value - do you think that solution will also work if user view more than 8 pages per session?

3. custom segments - what kind of segments will you build? how can you define "sessions that contain a certain page/set of pages"

I may have a solution - do you think it will work:

create a content grouping for that page/s -->

create a custom segment of users who completed more than 0 of that specific goal -->

go to the all pages report in the behavior section and view the content grouping.

make sense?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

2. Sure.

3. Just Page = your page considered in segment definition (regex if using more than one page)

If you set up the content grouping you don't have to use segments. Conversion rates etc. for that group can be shown in a custom report where you may choose the relevant metrics colums. If you add the converted segment in this case, it's just 100% conversion rate for the page.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

so that would be by far the easiest solution: create 2 custom segments - one that filters sessions with the page/s and the other without. Then you compare those 2 vs. the relevant metrics.

thanks!