Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Can Analytics test different headline wording for a news reports?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can you use Google Analytics A/B testing to test the search traffic click through performance of different headline wording for news reports?

Scenario is:

- Large, very high traffic news site with lots of new reports every day

- Main body content of the news report page stays same

- Just the report headline title changes in each test to see which gets most click through.

What I want to test is which headlines get most click through for the same underlying article when the A/B headline / title appear in google search results.

To do this test the different headlines variants would need to actually appear in Google Search results, and I'd need to be able to track through what percentage of each variant got click through.

Is this possible?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul P
March 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Paul,

If you are referring to what happens on a Google or other search engine results page, then no, you cannot dynamically control this with a GA content experiment. You can; however, measure the traffic that each would receive after it's changed and updated but this is -- of course-- not a true A/B experiment and there are many elements out of your control.   You could however, easily test which headline on your own site leads to more clicks.  That might give you some editorial direction.  While possible in GA, a test like this is much easier to pull off in Google Optimize or Optimizely or Visual Website Optimizer.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paul P
March 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Paul,

If you are referring to what happens on a Google or other search engine results page, then no, you cannot dynamically control this with a GA content experiment. You can; however, measure the traffic that each would receive after it's changed and updated but this is -- of course-- not a true A/B experiment and there are many elements out of your control.   You could however, easily test which headline on your own site leads to more clicks.  That might give you some editorial direction.  While possible in GA, a test like this is much easier to pull off in Google Optimize or Optimizely or Visual Website Optimizer.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn