Analytics
7K members online now
7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Campaigns and channel attribution - duplication?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We've started using campaigns/URL builder recently. I've noticed in our reports, when we do social posts, etc. any clicks are pulled in to the relevant campaigns.

However, at a top level, these social interactions/clicks are grouped in (Other). Does that mean they are no longer added/attributed to Social, or is GA presenting this information twice?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Campaigns and channel attribution - duplication?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi DLiley,

I guess with 'top level' you mean the default-channel grouping 'social'? Just include 'social' in your UTM medium description to get the channel working again [1].

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3297892?hl=en

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Christoph,

Yes, I do set the medium as social. I've noticed that the channel grouping for (Other) contains LinkedIn but not Twitter.

Could it be because I have used a lower case i for Linkedin and not LinkedIn?

Additionally, we do not get a Default channel grouping for Email - even though this is used in the campaigns. Do you know why that may be?

Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DLiley
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes, it gets tricky sometimes ... you may set up a flat-table custom report containing the four dimensions

Default channel grouping
source / medium
at distribution network
campaign

to get an overview what and how it's being assigned currently. You may also edit your default-channel groupings so that you can work with it smoothly.

Christoph

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
That was great - thanks. It was assigning correctly - the LinkedIn clicks were being pulled in from the CPC medium! Smiley Happy