AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Campaigns and channel attribution - duplication?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We've started using campaigns/URL builder recently. I've noticed in our reports, when we do social posts, etc. any clicks are pulled in to the relevant campaigns.

However, at a top level, these social interactions/clicks are grouped in (Other). Does that mean they are no longer added/attributed to Social, or is GA presenting this information twice?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DLiley
March 2016

Re: Campaigns and channel attribution - duplication?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes, it gets tricky sometimes ... you may set up a flat-table custom report containing the four dimensions

Default channel grouping
source / medium
at distribution network
campaign

to get an overview what and how it's being assigned currently. You may also edit your default-channel groupings so that you can work with it smoothly.

Christoph

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi DLiley,

I guess with 'top level' you mean the default-channel grouping 'social'? Just include 'social' in your UTM medium description to get the channel working again [1].

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3297892?hl=en

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Christoph,

Yes, I do set the medium as social. I've noticed that the channel grouping for (Other) contains LinkedIn but not Twitter.

Could it be because I have used a lower case i for Linkedin and not LinkedIn?

Additionally, we do not get a Default channel grouping for Email - even though this is used in the campaigns. Do you know why that may be?

Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DLiley
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes, it gets tricky sometimes ... you may set up a flat-table custom report containing the four dimensions

Default channel grouping
source / medium
at distribution network
campaign

to get an overview what and how it's being assigned currently. You may also edit your default-channel groupings so that you can work with it smoothly.

Christoph

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
That was great - thanks. It was assigning correctly - the LinkedIn clicks were being pulled in from the CPC medium! Smiley Happy