AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Campaign Source and Medium not showing properly - Single Page Web Application

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have installed Google Analytics on a single page web application. I put the the initialization script so that it is in the header of each web page, and I have set the following to deal with recognizing page view changes within a single page web app:

script>
window.ga=window.ga||function(){(ga.q=ga.q||[]).push(arguments)};ga.l=+new Date;
ga('create', 'UA-XXXXXXXX', 'auto');
ga('require', 'autotrack');
ga('send', 'pageview');
</script>

I have several Facebook Ad campaigns that I would like to track in Google Analytics so that I know which specific Ads were responsible for each goal conversion.

I have confirmed the following so far:

• Google is successfully recognizing each ad in Facebook as a campaign per the utm parameters I set in the URL
  • Google is successfully recognizing completed events (goals, in this case a payment action), and the total numbers closely match an outside payment system

My issue it that Google is not attributing goal conversions to the ad campaigns. I can't be absolutely sure how many conversions the ads should have, but I know it is currently being underreported. Most goal conversions are currently being attributed to (direct) / (none) or google / organic

I understand that redirects in the site could cause Google to drop the session an then attribute the conversion to one of those two buckets. How do I trouble shoot to figure out where the session is getting dropped, and what are some ways to ensure the ad campaigns are credited all the way through?

Thanks

Mike

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Campaign Source and Medium not showing properly - Single Page Web Application

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

I don't think that redirects apply here since you have single page app, right? Or do you have 3rd party payment provider?
And it cannot drop to Google bucket unless user actually comes through Google.

Anyway, try creating segment that includes Users coming from campaigns and check the exit pages (exit views / virtual pages) from Behavior -> Site Content -> Exit pages

there you should find if there is a common drop-off point and maybe check what is happening there...

Thoughts?
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Re: Campaign Source and Medium not showing properly - Single Page Web Application

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Antti,

Thanks for your suggestion. This is a really helpful view that I'll definitely use later.

I created a segment for the users coming through a utm tagged Facebook ad. I filtered for a source of Facebook and a Medium of cpc.

Given the workflow of a users arriving through the ad, I can't find any meaningful pattern in the exit pages that show up for this segment.

The vast majority of users in this segment (90%) exit from the marketing page we lead them to through the ad. This makes sense behaviorally that many people will exit after following an ad to the first landing page. The other 10% of the segment leave from a variety of pages through out the site.

Is there a more low level way that I can track where a session drops off as I act like a user? I tried doing this by turning on Google Analytics Debugger (Chrome tool), clicking through my own facebook ad, and reading the console readout and actual GIF requests being sent to Google. While I was able to see when pageviews or events were being sent, I couldn't find any information on what source/medium Google analytics logged with each page change or event trigger.

Is there any way to interpret the data from Google Analytics or the GIF request being sent so that I can step by step test where the source/medium attribution is being lost by Google Analytics?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

when I entered my site directly I did not see any referrer information (logical)
Accessing my site through Google added this line to GA Debugger console data:
referrer (&dr) https://www.google.fi/

So in your landing page you should see your campaign variables among the other values like encoding hitType etc... Otherwise you are counted as direct.
One more place is to check your GA Real Time report from view where our own visits are not filtered.

So what happens when you click on your ad? Do you see the campaign parameters in the URL? Do you have redirects before the actual landing page?
--

Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You can try to do a little experiment - add your own specific utm_source and utm_medium to your landing page link (e.g. www.example.com?utm_source=test123&medium=test123). Enter your LP through that link. Then go to Real-Time->Traffic Sources report in GA. You should see user with source "test123" and medium "test123". Click on either your custom source on medium. This way you'll filter report to track only your own actions (I recommend opening this GA window on separate screen so you can easily look at it).

Now go to Real-Time->Content. There you should see the page you're actually on. At this moment just browse through your web page toward conversion page. Every time you change page look at "Content" report that you opened and see if it's displaying your actual page (it has a couple second of delay so be a little patient). Page at which your report will stop updating is the place where source/medium was lost hence GA stopped updating page for your custom source/medium.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your suggestion, this is really helpful and has brought some better visibility. I still haven't quite pinned down the issue but I will be looking deeper into this on Monday. I will post back with updates

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
When I click on the Facebook ad in question I do not see the campaign parameters in the URL once I land on the marketing page. But I do see the results of those parameters when I look in the Campaigns reports. I'm not sure if there's some magic going on behind the scenes, but somehow Google is picking up on the parameters despite them not being explicitly shown as a part of the URL.

We never change from our same root domain in the workflow from landing page to event. But I may not be clear on what gets considered as a redirect. I will step through it in more detail using Andrzej's method to see if I can pinpoint where GA considered the session is getting dropped. Thanks for your help so far, I will reply with an update early next week

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello I realize I'm way behind in getting back to you. Just wanted to let you know I had to go out of office for about two weeks and will be digging back in to this later. I really appreciate your help and will be getting back into this as soon as possible

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
If you are using chrome press ctrl-shift-i and go to the network tab
(in Firefox I like to use HttpFox extension)

Both of those show the requests that browser send so it should be easy to spot the redirect. Enable either one when you are ready to click your FB ad (if you enable too soon they will be flooded with other stuff). After your click scroll back up to the first rows and you should see where your campaign parameters execute and what happens after.
--

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Antti,
I have a similar problem, and as you seem quite knowledgeable on the subject, would really appreciate if you could have a look (so that I don't get in the way of solving Michael's issue):
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Tracking-Goals-Ecommerce/Source-amp-Medium-not-showing-pro...

Thanks a million!