AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Campaign Conversion Tracking After Leaving UTM URL

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

New to the GA scene so bear with me!

My business' website has the majority of their conversions as a submission button that does not redirect to a thank you page. I have an event/goal tracker to make sure the conversion is tracked in GA. So far so good.

This provides issues for conversion tracking via Facebook Campaigns and post-click tracking. Unlike GA, Facebook needs a thank-you page to confirm a conversion - So I figured I could stick with GA somehow instead of building a thank-you page to track campaign conversions.

If I built a UTM string for a Facebook Ad and the user lands and converts on the first try - great! I've got them tracked to that campaign. If they leave that page or the website (and therefor the utm string), and come back at a later date, won't my campaign conversion be "stolen" from that campaign and just be attributed as a normal conversion from any other regular source?

Is there any way to track if they leave my utm string from a Facebook Ad and convert at a later date? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Campaign Conversion Tracking After Leaving UTM URL

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
There is the assisted conversion and multi channel funnel reports to answer this type of question.

Re: Campaign Conversion Tracking After Leaving UTM URL

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Lowell,

UTM-tracked campaigns are a kind of "strong" referrer that overwrites any possible direct referral (a "weak" referrer) [1]. Or taken the other way round, if your UTM-Facebook user comes back at a later time (without having deleted cookies) via direct access, Facebook is still there. In other cases (any other non-empty referrer), its overwritten by default.

Note, however, that you can still track all marketing touch points with Analytics multi-channel funnels and attribution [2].

Christoph

[1] https://www.e-nor.com/blog/google-analytics/direct-visits-google-analytics-attribution-precedence
[2] https://support.google.com/analytics/topic/3205717?hl=en