Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Campaign Conversion Tracking After Leaving UTM URL

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

New to the GA scene so bear with me!

My business' website has the majority of their conversions as a submission button that does not redirect to a thank you page. I have an event/goal tracker to make sure the conversion is tracked in GA. So far so good.

This provides issues for conversion tracking via Facebook Campaigns and post-click tracking. Unlike GA, Facebook needs a thank-you page to confirm a conversion - So I figured I could stick with GA somehow instead of building a thank-you page to track campaign conversions.

If I built a UTM string for a Facebook Ad and the user lands and converts on the first try - great! I've got them tracked to that campaign. If they leave that page or the website (and therefor the utm string), and come back at a later date, won't my campaign conversion be "stolen" from that campaign and just be attributed as a normal conversion from any other regular source?

Is there any way to track if they leave my utm string from a Facebook Ad and convert at a later date? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Campaign Conversion Tracking After Leaving UTM URL

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
There is the assisted conversion and multi channel funnel reports to answer this type of question.

Re: Campaign Conversion Tracking After Leaving UTM URL

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Lowell,

UTM-tracked campaigns are a kind of "strong" referrer that overwrites any possible direct referral (a "weak" referrer) [1]. Or taken the other way round, if your UTM-Facebook user comes back at a later time (without having deleted cookies) via direct access, Facebook is still there. In other cases (any other non-empty referrer), its overwritten by default.

Note, however, that you can still track all marketing touch points with Analytics multi-channel funnels and attribution [2].

Christoph

[1] https://www.e-nor.com/blog/google-analytics/direct-visits-google-analytics-attribution-precedence
[2] https://support.google.com/analytics/topic/3205717?hl=en