AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Calculating an Average for a Custom Metric

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

I've created a custom metric that I'm passing into GA however this number is only meaningful as an average.

The number is only being passed through on a testing site as the moment as 200 (this will be variable once we go live). So in the test profile of analytics I can see custom metric = 1000 for yesterday, so I know the metric I need to divide it by is 5 however none of the user metrics = 5 to create a custom calculation to make it divisible and therefore = 200 (sessions = 1, hits = 23, users = 3, pageviews = 150 etc...).

1. Is there a way to create a metric only to be sent once per session

or

2. Can a metric be divided by a number of page views on a specific page (The only thing I can see that = 5 is the page views of the page this is captured on, therefore is it possibly the metric I want to divide by to get the 200)

Appreciate any help I can get on this one.

Cheers,

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Derek D
December 2015

Re: Calculating an Average for a Custom Metric

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Sorry...yes. You can use a custom dimension to 'tag' the session, then use the Sessions metric to count, coupled with a segment looking for the custom dimension.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
What is the scope of your custom metric? Is it session or hit-scoped?
If it is a session-scoped metric, you can only get one per session by definition.

If you want to get the number per pageview for a specific page, create a query with a filter where page = the page. If you use a session-scoped metric, consider using Unique Pageviews instead of Pageviews since that will align better with the sessions that included the page. [do NOT try to use sessions for a page unless it is a landing page]

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the advice, I can only seem to choose "hit' or "product' for the custom metric? Would love to set it as session as that would help.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Derek D
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Sorry...yes. You can use a custom dimension to 'tag' the session, then use the Sessions metric to count, coupled with a segment looking for the custom dimension.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Mike, really appreciate the advice.

I've actually used a second custom metric to send the value of '1' every time the metric is sent, then I can use this to divide by the total to get our average. Issue I had with the custom dimension and sessions is sometimes it can be sent multiple times in a session, which then lead me to using page views however page views didn't work for me either because if the page is refreshed (which I can be if you change details on the page) it won't resend the metric (so page views will always be higher then the number of times it's sent) but if they go through the sales funnel twice it will be sent twice.

Was trying to avoid using another metric but don't think there is a way around it.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Don't forget there is a 'Unique Pageviews' metric....one per session per page...