Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Best way to setup Event Goals for outbound links?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all!

I have a number of affiliate sites where I promote a number of brands hence the most important info is to know (1) if the link is an outbound, (2) if the action is a click, (3) which link they clicked on, (4) which page they clicked on that link, (5) the placement (banner, widget, text link etc) where they clicked on that link. This is the structure I'm thinking:

GTM Tag

Custom Event

Category: Outbound Affiliate

Action: Click

Label: www.amazon.com/shoes/shoe100

Value: 5$

Placement: Banner (Custom field)

Brand: Amazon (Custom field)

GA

Goal

Category: Outbound Affiliate

Action: Click

Label:

Value:

What is the best way to structure this in GTM (custom event) and then GA (goal) ?

what are your thoughts?

Re: Best way to setup Event Goals for outbound liks?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
After creating a tag (with a specific trigger) in GTM, publish the container and then wait a bit until the tag will be shown as an event in GA>Behaviour>Events>Top Events. So there is no need to make a Goal.
GA will display the Category first, then you click on the Outbound Affiliate link and all the Action titles are shown then you can click on the Click link and your labels are shown with #of events and their values.

Re: Best way to setup Event Goals for outbound liks?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply!
I'm just interested to understand how everyone structures their tag/goals for outbound links.
I created two custom fields as can be seem above to get as much data as I possibly can.