Analytics
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Best way to monitor traffic - I'm new! Google analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys, I'm new to Analytics, can somebody help me please.

I run a large e-commerce website and we're investing in SEO.

We have 60+ brands, but for now we are focusing on one in particular.

My question is..

How do I monitor this brands performance? I have a main URL etc.

Can I currently see how much traffic the url is getting and what is the best method?

Should I create a campaign for this? There's no PPC involved.

Thanks!

Sam

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Couple of suggestions with GA:

- check the performance of the product page(s) as landing pages (use the landing page report and search for the specific pages you are interested in) from organic search; if your pages become better optimised then new visits from organic should increase

- check the overall performance of the website with regard to organic traffic; if your content is good, and encourages engagement, then you should see an increase in new, and returning visitors from organic

- Implement search console for your site - look for click throughs to your site and the pages you are optimising. Check to see which search words are increasing in volume.

- Consider using a technical SEO consult to check your site to make sure there are no barriers to being found. Failing that, run an audit with a tool like screaming frog. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate the reply.

I'll consider your points.

What is the best way to showcase results to my directors?

Would this be to create a campaign and monitor progress there, then creating graphs/charts etc

Thanks

Sam

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Also - when you say 'Campaign' do you mean PPC? If you want to drive traffic then this can be good way. Make sure you are tracking goals and/or transactions.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,

No sorry not PPC, I probably have the wrong end of the stick on Campaigns.

I guess I just want to monitor traffic on this specific brands products/urls and see all the cool stats/graphs.

Can I monitor this as landing pages? where can I find this in GA?

Cheers

Sam

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Partboxdotcom
April 2017

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Campaign tracking is used to measure clicks on links that point to your site but are not on your domain. 

The landing page report can be found under Behaviour>site content>landing pages. To just show organic traffic, you can select source/medium as the secondary dimension then click the plot row button.

Alternatively, you can use a segment (advanced segments, the tiles at the top of the screen) and select organic from the default segments.

Or, you can create an advanced segment which has your landing page(s) as the landing page and then use this to observe any trends.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you John that's great.

One final question if you wouldn't mind.

My store doesn't yet have canonical links.

So products can be accessed by many different routes - I'm guessing this will make my tracking a lot harder? Because I will have so many URLs to monitor per products. Should I sort this out before adventuring into GA?

Kind Regards,

Sam

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Some quick answers:

What is the best way to showcase results to my directors?

In my experience, your directors will be happy when you present results which are simply to understand and have a clear line of sight to the business's goals. Confusion just makes people unhappy and irritated - less is definitely more. Make sure you understand every data point you present, and where they have come from.

Would this be to create a campaign and monitor progress there, then creating graphs/charts etc

Not quite sure what context you are using 'campaign' in here. 

So products can be accessed by many different routes - I'm guessing this will make my tracking a lot harder? Because I will have so many URLs to monitor per products. Should I sort this out before adventuring into GA?

Focus on the aims of your SEO work - the ultimate goals should be linked to a business goal. e.g. generate more sales, more leads or something similar. GA will allow you to gather together the URLs you are working on, so you can report them as a group, for example. Learn about custom reports, filters and advanced segments. A very simple example: the URLs product/categoryA/red, product/categoryA/blue, product/categoryA/white can all be reported together with an advanced segment which has a rule landingpage matches regex product/categoryA/.*