Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Best metric to assess downloads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

I have two questions and would very much appreciate your help!...

1. What is the best metric to use to assess downloads for an ebook which automatically downloads when a destination URL is reached? BTW the GA account has been running for a few months, so I'm not looking for a method which uses new code to implement, but rather the best method to assess what data we already have.

2. Is there a free way to conglomerate conversions (i.e. ebook downloads) across the different properties within the same account? The ebook is available in different languages and via different websites, so we need to pull all this information into one place. I think the "Roll-Up" service provides this capability but as a non-profit our budgets are always stretched and a free option would be very appealing!

Thanks in advance
Lorry

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there,

1. Look at unique pageviews for the download page. You should back that up with server log data showing how many time the PDF file was served

2. Does your download URL match a language-/website-wide pattern e.g. /pdf/downloadpage ?

(Tip: that's not what roll-ups are used for)

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julien

Thanks for your help!

1. Okay great, that's what we're using - phew!

2. If necessary that can be arranged, but I think the priority is that the local language appears in the URL, so perhaps a regular expression would do it? So for the thank you page perhaps it could be /thank-you/|/merci/|/gracias/ ... is that what you're thinking? Would that work across different properties in the same account?

Thanks again
Lorry

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julien

Any thoughts on my last message? Is there any way you can think of to aggregate the data?

Best wishes

Lorry