AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Behavior Flow: Landing Page Vs Starting Page Session Difference

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

I'm looking at the behavior flow report in Google Analytics and in this particular example, I have a Landing Page with 78 sessions. However, the Starting Page shows 80 sessions.

When I view this segment of traffic in isolation, only the 78 sessions are detailed.

Any ideas of why there would be a difference in this instance?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Behavior Flow: Landing Page Vs Starting Page Session Difference

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Does this help: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2731565?hl=en
the way sessions are calculated is usually the root of these questions, and it's pretty important to understand it for any analysis - until fairly recently they were called 'visits' but luckily it was changed to the geekier sounding but more accurate 'sessions'

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond

Re: Behavior Flow: Landing Page Vs Starting Page Session Difference

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Scott,

hard to tell ... it might be a sampling issue if your view might be filtered from a larger data set. Do you see the yellow message "This report is based ..." on top right? If so, try to reduce date range to avoid sampling. In addition, don't include any new data up to 24-48 hours ago.

Christoph