AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Beginner - Ecommerce Tracking - How to Install Code

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!  I am new to Google Analytics and want to incorporate eCommerce tracking on our new website.  I know where to add the code on the website; however, I do not know what Google eCommerce tracking code I am supposed to use.  How can I find this out?  Is there some kind of basic snippet of code that I can use that just tracks basic sales data?  I don't need anything super fancy.  We have the standard analytics working just fine on the site; just need to get the eCommerce analytics working correctly so we can better track sales and such on the new site.  Thanks in advance for your assistance!  I've tried searching online but most of the articles I have found are a bit over my level of understanding since I am by no means a programmer.  So I'm looking for the "Beginner's Guide to eCommerce Tracking Implementation."  Thanks again!  =)

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Beginner - Ecommerce Tracking - How to Install Code

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi CrossroadsCandl,

You'll find hopefully some helpful information here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009612?hl=en

I'm thinking you've already see that resource, so if there's anything in there beyond your understanding, then feel free to post back here.

Also, this site https://enhancedecommerce.appspot.com/ shows you a demo of Enhanced Ecommerce, and you can click to see what code is being used for various parts of the checkout steps.

Hope this helps
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Re: Beginner - Ecommerce Tracking - How to Install Code

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi CrossroadsCandles,

eCommerce integration unfortunately isn't as easy as implementing the standard tracking code. The difference is that eCommerce code is personalized as it contains the actual shopping basket of a buyer. So, your shopping system has to create and write the actual code. To enable that, your programmers have to integrate the eCommerce tracking logics into the shopping scripts or use some kind of predefined shop-system modules to accomplish that.

Christoph