Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Attribution to signups with LinkedIn OAuth 2.0 authentication

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

We've recently introduced a LinkedIn signup feature on our website. Instead of users having to fill in their details in a form, they can validate using LinkedIn's OAuth 2.0 Authentication.

However, we are not able to attribute where the sign-ups have come from, given that users are redirected to LinkedIn to authenticate and then return to the website. As a result, google analytics starts a new session when users come back. 

Are there any tricks to work around this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Theodore

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Attribution to signups with LinkedIn OAuth 2.0 authentication

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Theodore,

if you are set up with GTM you can use something like this http://www.simoahava.com/gtm-tips/implement-referral-exclusions-via-gtm/ a proper way to do it would to just override the referrals when auth > page. Another way, if applicable, is to use utm_nooverride=1.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin,

Thanks for the reply.

It looks to me that utm_nooveride=1 is the solution. Any good resources around that?

Many thanks,
Theodore

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Basically if there is a return URL from Auth to the site it will just need to be appended to the return URL ?utm_nooverride=1
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just found this one: http://www.metricmogul.co.uk/how-to-prevent-verification-emails-screwing-up-your-attribution-in-goog...

I'll test it out and let you know.

Thanks again.