AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Attribution to signups with LinkedIn OAuth 2.0 authentication

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

We've recently introduced a LinkedIn signup feature on our website. Instead of users having to fill in their details in a form, they can validate using LinkedIn's OAuth 2.0 Authentication.

However, we are not able to attribute where the sign-ups have come from, given that users are redirected to LinkedIn to authenticate and then return to the website. As a result, google analytics starts a new session when users come back. 

Are there any tricks to work around this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Theodore

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Attribution to signups with LinkedIn OAuth 2.0 authentication

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Theodore,

if you are set up with GTM you can use something like this http://www.simoahava.com/gtm-tips/implement-referral-exclusions-via-gtm/ a proper way to do it would to just override the referrals when auth > page. Another way, if applicable, is to use utm_nooverride=1.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin,

Thanks for the reply.

It looks to me that utm_nooveride=1 is the solution. Any good resources around that?

Many thanks,
Theodore

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Basically if there is a return URL from Auth to the site it will just need to be appended to the return URL ?utm_nooverride=1
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just found this one: http://www.metricmogul.co.uk/how-to-prevent-verification-emails-screwing-up-your-attribution-in-goog...

I'll test it out and let you know.

Thanks again.