Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Assisted conversions : better trust Analytics or Adwords ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I discovered recently the existence of assisted conversions for my campaigns (Search) and I would like to integrate them into my reports, but I don't have the same amount of assisted conversions while watching at Analytics and Adwords.

I know that it's complicated on Analytics to really measure them because of an overlapping issue. I used a formula found in an article saying that the true amount of assisted conversion should be : Assisted - (Regular - Last click). Here I found then 17 true assisted conversions, while Adwords tells me I have only 7 click assisted conversions (and 16 impression assisted). 

Which one do you think is the most accurate for my reports ? Adwords or Analytics ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Violaine 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Violaine M
June

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

I would "trust" analytics more. The AdWords UI only reports AdWords data. Analytics reports traffic from all sources.

The issues relating to truly demonstrating assisted conversions and the buying cycle are no different between interfaces. But - If I were to "trust" one over the other, it would be analytics. Try segmenting out your top conversion paths report for paid search, time lag for AdWords, etc. Then double check your AdWords conversion window settings. You may be able to get the two UI's closer in terms of reported data, but how much trust you put into any of those numbers is up to you, and your ability to explain it to the client. Smiley Happy

Tom

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

couple of quick points to add:

- are you selecting adwords in the conversion type in GA

- are you looking at goals or transactions? This can have implementations for the way conversions are reported:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2679221?hl=en

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom, 

Thanks for your advice, I will try this!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John, 

Good point you make here. I was watching at my conversions with "Type = all", in the line "Commercial links" but as I only have Adwords as commercial links, I considered that the amount of conversions here was the one from Adwords (especially when I select as first dimension "Campaigns", it only comes from my Adwords camapigns).

However, now I notice a difference between the number I have in Type = All + Line Commercial Links (28 for last week) and Type = Adwords (24).

Do you know where this difference comes from ?

Thanks in advance!