Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Assisted conversions Channel Grouping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I have some troubles figuring out what is the most effective channel that is actually bringing customers to an e-commerce website. The site conversion rate is low and I guess the online marketing strategy needs some rethinking.

Here is the Assisted Conversions report for a specific time frame with a 90 days lookback window:

Cattura.JPG

During this period, 79% of online marketing spend was on a Paid Search campaign, 17% on Social Network ads and just a tiny 4% on a Display campaign. In the previous months, some 70 articles were written on the web to sponsor the website.

It would seem from this report that the Paid Search channel is not really effective, considering the proportion of advertising spend (79%) compared to the times it was part of a conversion process (8.86%). The huge amount of Direct assisted conversions (45.57%) does not seem to make sense, considering that the brand is quite new. I see two possible explanations for this:

1. In the Direct channel are included Referrals from the articles written in the previous months that are not included (who knows why) in the Referral channel.

2. There are so many cross-device conversions that Google simply cannot track the previous steps (maybe starting from an Apple device and ending on a Windows pc) and is considering just the last one, when the customer enters directly the website to complete the purchase. In this case I suppose most of the websites in the world should have results like this one.

In the first case, the best move could be to shut down the Paid Search campaign and move the budget to a Display campaign to get clicks from selected referrals.

How would you explain this report and what suggestions would you give for the marketing strategy of the website?

Thanks to you all for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Michele,

There are other possibilities as well.  One could be that you have a redirect or third party checkout that is causing your attribution to be reclassified as direct.  I would do some testing on this.

You also may want to take a look at your referral exclusion list in the property settings and your channel groupings to make sure they haven't been adjusted.

If everything is as new as you say then you may have to wait to see how effective paid is and display can get you direct and organic branded traffic.  Use demo and interest reports to fine tune your display campaigns.

Best. 

Theo Bennett 

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

thank you for your reply. No changes have been made to the default channel groupings nor are referral exclusions in place.

This website has in fact Paypal as a third party checkout, with the user leaving the website to complete the payment on Paypal.com to come back to a confirmation page on the website after he is done. I am sure that they come back to the confirmation page (otherwise the conversion will not be triggered), so this could be a possible solution. The weird thing is that in the "Referral" report there are no (zero) sessions coming from Paypal, where I would have expected many to be.

What do you think?

Thanks again,

Michele

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Michele,

Add paypal as a referral exclusion and let's see what happens.   More on this here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

I have just added the exclusion, I will let you know if this works.

In the meantime, thanks again for your help.

Best,

Michele

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

You're welcome.   The referral exclusion should help clear most of it up. 

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn