Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Ask for measure of goal with UTM link & 2 links in 1 regular expression?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a goal of visiting success page after visitor filling out a form. I wanna ask 2 questions about Google Analytics goal:

1. If visitors come from an UTM link in facebook to our landing page and then click to a button having an utm link inside and then complete the goal. Will the goal completion be counted for the utm link in button or facebook? Or will the goal completion count be duplicated for both 2 sources?

2. I have this regular expression for our goals: ^/dang-ki-thanh-cong/$|^/dang-ki-thanh-cong-khoa-cong-so/$

=> 2 links for success page for 2 different forms. If 1 visitor inserted forms & reached 2 success links, would it be counted for 2 goal completions or 1 goal completion?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

1. Goal completion will be attributed to the utm link on the button. In addition, the user will have triggered two sessions instead of one. Which is why you should never use utm parameters on internal links.

2. One completion. Any single goal will only be recorded once per session.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hey Tu, 

#1 - You don't need to attach UTM to internal buttons, instead you should use event tracking. 

#2 - If i understood your regular expression correctly you've set up your goal to fire if EITHER one of these links is visited. That being said goals only fire ONCE per session so there is no way for a goal to be counted twice within a single session. 

Let me know if this answers your questions. 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’