AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Are cookies still effective?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I delete my cookies each day. Does Google Analytics use something else besides cookies? What about mobile users I heard cookies don't really work well there?

Thanks

Re: Are cookies still effective?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jack,

The analytics.js JavaScript library is part of Universal Analytics and uses first-party cookies to:

• Distinguish unique users
  • Throttle the request rate

When using the new JavaScript snippet, analytics.js sets cookies on the highest level domain it can and it's the same with every browser even if you use a mobile device. First-party cookies are associated with the domain of the site a user visits.

analytics.js sets the following cookies:

• Cookie Name:  _ga - expiration time 2 years, used to distinguish users.
  • Cookie Name: _gat - expiration time 10 minutes, used to throttle request rate.

If you're using Google Analytics' Display Advertiser features, such as remarketing, a third-party DoubleClick cookie is used in addition.Third-party cookies are associated with a domain that is separate from the site a user visits.

All the websites that you use on a daily basis or on a weekly basis, will see you as a new user after you've deleted your cookies.

One more thing that would be interesting to know. First party cookies are not shared across devices so if you visit a specific site with your mobile and 3 hours later with your laptop, GA will not understand that you were the same person unless you didn't log in (if UserID tracking is implemented, it's possible to make sure, you were the same person).

Hope this help. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Taavi

Are cookies still effective?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

ok, I understand. Thanks!