Analytics
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Android QuickSearchBox is listed as a referrer in GA. Google app traffic "organic" or "referral"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry I'm not sure if I'm posting this question in the right place. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Here is the situation as briefly as I can provide it:

My site is seeing referral traffic from "com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox". The "Android QuickSearchBox" is basically just the Google app for Android and its associated widget.

My question is: Does that mean that the traffic from the Google app for android is being counted as referral traffic instead of organic traffic?

Or could it perhaps be something different? Could referral visits from "com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox" be visits from Google Now cards and not from actual searches?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Android QuickSearchBox is listed as a referrer in GA. Google app traffic "organic" or

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Looks like a hiccup (or a new feature) in Google Chrome -- one specific version on Android. Multiple destination pages, so I doubt it is the Google Now cards.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Android QuickSearchBox is listed as a referrer in GA. Google app traffic "organic" or

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your response. I'm sorry thought, I'm not sure that I'm understanding you. Did you mean perhaps that it was a "hiccup (or a new feature) in Google *Analytics*"? Or did you really mean Chrome?

I'm sure this is due to my own ignorance here, but I'm having a hard time understand how your response answers my question. (Besides ruling out the Google Now cards - Thank you for that).

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Sorry, I guess I never did answer your question. Yes, it looks like that traffic is real and is being improperly recorded in Google Analytics. Which part is at fault is a mystery...I suspect Chrome since it is one version only that seems to have this problem.

Google Analytics receives referral information from the browser and maps that to "organic" search for known search engines. They even provide an Admin feature for Organic Search Sources so you can add any sources they missed. I'm not sure if Chrome is sending the wrong referral info or if GA is not recognizing what it is sending, but the two are out of sync, so the visits pass through and appear as referrals.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nate, 

I'm still having this issue, that my site is seeing referral traffic from "com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox" which is actually organic traffic- This isn't a bug or glitch as it's been persistent for several months now. 

I installed filters through the admin panel to try and show that referrals from "com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox" will be shown as Organic, but it does not seem to be working. 

We're you able to trouble shoot this and find a solution?