Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics missing transactions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello my dear friends

please what can be a reason or problem if there is showed 1000 transactions in back end system but in google analytics it is only 800. 

Cookie problem - it is too high percentage i think. It should be less around 5 percent

maybe sampling? And how to find those missing transactions that are not in analytics?

thank you for your time

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Analytics missing transactions

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Mayo,

20% variance is too much - you have an issue.

Things to look for: Are all backend transactions from the website? Do internal teams use the site to process phone orders? Is internal traffic filtered out? In the Ecom transactions you have: Are all device categories represented. Are all language versions represented?

If that leads no where then you need to analyze the 200 transactions that are missing from GA and look for commonalities. It could be something as simple as an apostrophe in product names. Once you have a hypothesis you can then perform tests on the site.

Use GA Tag Assistant and GA Debug.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h...

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-analytics-debugger/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna...

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Theo,

Thanks a lot for your time and input.

I am very thankful for your ideas.

The thing is that We have a client that owns a webshop with high-tech stuff that gets bought mostly by IT professionals.

The webshop has Google Analytics (universal) implemented through Google Tag Manager and has the (standard) E-Commerce script implemented.

Transactions get placed and paid online and get sent from the website to a order system that handles everything on the back end. We can assume that the back-end system has perfect information and is in fact “the truth”.

The client sees 1000 transactions in their back-end system, but only 800 transactions in Google Analytics E-Commerce Transactions.

Yeah it is a big number and difference. All orders are made online so i am
Pretty crazy what reasons can do this.

Sampling? 3d party ordering system? Cookies blocked is not a reason coz it is too much

Maybe filtering certain traffic and blocking. Will need to find out

Do you think of other possible reasons why such a big gap can happens theo, please?

Can you think of any ways to decrease the amount of missing transactions in Google Analytics?

Thanks a lot and much much thank you!!!!

Mayo

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Mayo,

Data sampling at the collection level is only done in code - so if you haven't set it all of your data should be available.

You certainly could have a filtering issue that's why I mentioned internal staff using the site to complete phone orders. Make sure you have an unfiltered view to check against. You could also have a platform problem.

Since you are using GTM, what trigger is set for your Ecom tag? If it's gtm.js (pageview) then you'll probably want to try to change that to at least gtm.dom. It's a good idea to actually fire a custom event as the last thing after your ecom dataLayer has been added... something like trackTrans and then set that as the trigger for the Ecom tag.

If you've already done that then do some analysis on the 20% that are not included. There could be an uncaught aerror as you build your dataLayer when certain SKU's are present.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn