2.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics - Goal Funnel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone, 

Someone, please help me out with Goals Funnel!

Firstly tell you about my statement. I have a blog on a website, i need to track a goal from blog to thank you page. 

In between and on line, there are three pages. i.e 

Webpage 1 - /blog/

Webpage 2 - /contact/

Webpage 3 - /thank-you/

Is it compulsory to add three web pages in goal funnel or is it that I should input only Webpage 1(Required) and end page webpage 3. 

Which option is correct and will only track goals from blog. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Analytics - Goal Funnel

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

You need to add /thank-you/ as the goal destination and /blog/ as the first (required) step of the funnel. The second page of your funnel will be /contact/. You don't need to add /thank-you/ as a funnel step.
Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: Analytics - Goal Funnel

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Nitin,

As Arnold said, the page where the conversion happens shouldn't be between the funnel steps, but only in the "Destination" field.

If people can go to the /contact page without passing for the /blog page first, than the "Required?" switch on the left of the first funnel step should be set up on "No".
The "Required?" field is used to differentiate funnels you can access from more than one starting point (e.g.: the user might be able to access the "/contact" page both from the "/blog" page and the "/about me" page, and you want to know which starting page contributed the most to the goal completions). 

When you mark a first step as required, the Funnel Visualization report only includes goal conversions that pass through that required step. Other sessions are just dropped from the report.

You don't necessarily have to insert all the steps, but in your case I would include both step 1 and 2 in the funnel, so that you can tell if the conversion rate from one step to another is improving (over time and/or effort) or not.

Kind regards, 

Elena