Analytics
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

All of my site conversions are showing as "Direct" and UTM codes are not being tracked

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys! Our website has been live for a couple months at www.rookieup.com. We are integrated with a scheduling platform (Acuity), and have connected that with GA so that any conversions that happen on our employee's profile pages get tracked as events. There is an Acuity iframe on each employee page and when someone completes an order, an event fires. The events tracking is working, but every single event gets tagged as "Direct" rather than the appropriate referral.

Separately, anytime we try to do UTM tags, the user shows up as not having any of those codes applied. 

Any idea what we're doing wrong? Could us forcing SSL on the site have something to do with it?

1 Expert replyverified_user

All of my site conversions are showing as "Direct" and UTM codes are not being tracked

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

In order for the referral information to carry from one site to another, then cross domain tracking needs to be setup.
Acuity is a seperate platform..and even if the tracking is integrated.. the iframe content becomes 3rd party content and google analytics only uses 1st party cookies.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cross-domain#iframes

regarding the utm tags.. have you tried appending them with a # instead of a ?
Sometime they get stripped when using a ? but will work with a #

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here