AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

All mobile visits are shown as direct in google analytics

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My site is getting high traffic from direct visits (98%) among which (93%) are from mobile with very high bounce rate - landing page is homepage of the website.

I believe this is an error. How can I rectify this ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ravindra,

There is a sub section in the community forums which assists with spam traffic. 

Firstly you need to identify the source of the traffic then try to exclude it from your analytics.

You can maybe try looking at browser version and pages per session and avg time on page metrics to help understand the problem you are experiencing.

Once you find the culprit you can exclude it by creating a filter.

Thanks,

Adam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your response. In this case, visits are shown as direct but from mobile. If I create a filter excluding particular browser then it will automatically stop showing visits in other sections (social, referral) as well. 

can you suggest any other alternative? 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ravindra,

First ensure within the view settings that the "exclude known bots and spiders" is ticked. 

Another method I like to use which might be too late depending on how recent you setup your analytics, is to increment your property by 1 so for example you might be using UA-xxxxxx-1 start another property but use -2 instead however the new property will start collecting data from the creation date and you wont have any historic data. This is what I normally advise to clients who are just setting up GA.

Alternatively you can create a custom dimension for user agent and then create a custom report and find the user agent and then exclude it from your analytics that way.