AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Adwords conversion tracking in Google analytics

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Speaking with Hubspot I am told that if I want to track an AdWords conversion through the sales cycle to customer I need to drop the AdWords auto-tagging and use their tracking parameters. I beieve this significantly breaks our Google Analytics reporting. Is there a way to track in both? Is it possible to append the Hubspot tracking parameters to the AdWords auto-tagging?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dan K
December 2015

Re: Adwords conversion tracking in Google analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Dan
Great question!
The answer is yes.

In AdWords, you need to add the hubspot parameters into the tracking template. It's a relatively new feature. If that doesn't work, try just add the full url with hubspot parameters to the final url, leaving auto tracking enabled.

Make sure in your GA settings that "allow override" is not set either.

This has helped some of out clients improve the tracking but it's still not perfect. It's a problem we've found with hubspot and a reason we left them a while back ourselves.

Trying out the above and let me know if that helps.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dan K
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Dan
Great question!
The answer is yes.

In AdWords, you need to add the hubspot parameters into the tracking template. It's a relatively new feature. If that doesn't work, try just add the full url with hubspot parameters to the final url, leaving auto tracking enabled.

Make sure in your GA settings that "allow override" is not set either.

This has helped some of out clients improve the tracking but it's still not perfect. It's a problem we've found with hubspot and a reason we left them a while back ourselves.

Trying out the above and let me know if that helps.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Excellent. I never heard of that feature. This is going to help a lot. -------------------------------------------------- Dan Konig Creative Town LLC 603.262.3882

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Just started working on this in earnest. I found this odd. Hubspot wasn't aware of the tracking templates in AdWords but looking at the Hubspot URL generator I see the following.

Full Tracking URL
http://www.website.com?utm_campaign=AdWords&utm_source=ppc

Final URL
http://www.website.com

AdWords Tracking Template
{lpurl}?ads_adid={adgroupid}&ads_cmpid={campaignid}&ads_creative={creative}&ads_kw={keyword}&ads_matchtype={matchtype}&ads_network={network}&ads_targetid={targetid}&utm_campaign=AdWords&utm_source=ppc

Am I missing something here or does this seem that this might work? Maybe need to drop the parameters in the Full Tracking URL and leave auto-tagging on and drop the utm_campaign=AdWords&utm_source=ppc from the template? Actually, I wonder if Hubspot is using those utm parameters in Hubspot.

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Just checking in on this. Hubspot swears it doesn't work.

Adwords conversion tracking in Google analytics

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Dan - were you ever able to figure this out?