Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Campaigns Report vs Model Comparison discrepancies?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am analysing my adwords campaigns in Analytics (I am using auto-tagging). I noticed that there are big discrepancies in terms of number of conversions when I look at these 2 reports:

1) Acquisition----Adwords----Campaigns

2) Conversions----Attribution----Model Comparison (selecting the "adwords type" filter on the top and 90 days window)

In the second report I am selection "last click attribution" so in theory the number of conversions should be the same as the first report right? Anybody can explain me why I see so many less conversions in the second reports?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Campaigns Report vs Model Comparison discrepancies?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @tommaso s,

There is often data discrepancies between Google AdWords and Google Analytics since they both track data a bit differently. 

AdWords will attribute a conversion to the last AdWords click only. On the other hand, for all reports except the Multi-Channel Funnels reports, Analytics uses a last click attribution model across all channels (excluding direct). For example, let’s say a user clicks on a creative from your AdWords account, then returns the next day via a Google organic search result and reaches your Goal page or triggers a Transaction. Analytics will attribute the Goal or Transaction to google/organic. AdWords will attribute the conversion to the AdWords campaign.

Conversely, AdWords Conversion Tracking has no concept of "sessions" and counts multiple conversions in a given date range. For example, if a user reaches the same conversion page twice in a given session, then only one Goal will be counted in Analytics, but each conversion could be counted in AdWords if the counting preference for that conversion action is set to "Every" (setting the counting preference to "One" will count only one conversion per click).

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi J Clemens,
thanks for your feedback but maybe I did not explain well my question: I am not comparing Adwords platform vs Analytics platform. Both reports (1 and 2) that I am referring to in the question are within Google Analytics. And the conversions that I am tracking are Goal set in Google Analytics, so all the figures I am referring to are within the same platform. Make sense?
Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @tommaso s,

You are very welcome.

Report #1 is still pulling data from Adwords campaigns and calculated differently from report #2. 

Kind Regards,

James