Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

[Advanced] Tracking Enhanced Ecommerce goals for a session after the initial online session.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

THE CASE
We are working on a recruitment website for which we are tracking applications in Google Analytics using the e-commerce code. E.g. job-info, application ID, etc. are being stored in e-commerce. Ofcourse everything meets the privacy guidelines, no user data is stored.

After an application the candidate's information is stored in a CRM service with its credentials, resume, etc. In this CRM system the candidate's status is updated: e.g. if he is hired, discarded, etc. 

What we want to do is use the CRM data if somebody is hired and connect this to the original session.

THE APPROACH

• [Website] Landing page and sequential pageviews
    • <standard GUA tracking code>
  • [Website] online application
    • <standard GUA tracking code> added with a userId and userId custom dimension. The userId is unique for each applicant and is reused the next time he logs in or does another application with his account.
    • <enhanced ecommerce transaction> added with a userId and userId custom dimension. The userId is unique for each applicant and is reused the next time he logs in or does another application with his account.
  • [CRM] step 1: Internal interview
    • <enhanced ecommerce transaction> added with the userId of the online application (user's account) and userId custom dimension.
  • [CRM] step 2: Client interview
    • <enhanced ecommerce transaction> added with the userId of the online application (user's account) and userId custom dimension.
  • [CRM] step 3: hire
    • <enhanced ecommerce transaction> added with the userId of the online application (user's account) and userId custom dimension.

The reason we did not use 'checkout' enhanced ecommerce measurement for the online application and CRM step 1 & 2 is that each step has a commercial value on its own. Of course the hire is the end goal comparable with a sale in an e-commerce store.

'userId' has been set in Google Universal Analytics and a new view has been created. For the userId a custom dimension has been created as well. userId is set on 'user' (not session, product or hit).

THE QUESTION
Everything seems to work:
- All ecommerce transactions are reported in GUA
- All pageviews and ecommerce transactions register userId it seems

One thing remains however, which I think is called 'session stitching'. E.g. when somebody is hired we would like to report one session with its original source/medium and 4 transactions:

- [Website] Application
- [CRM] internal interview
- [CRM] client interview
- [CRM] hire

However, how it still looks now are 4 seperate sessions only the website application showing the correct source/medium, the other steps have 'direct/none'.

Can anybody say if the approach is right and if so, what might be causing the source/medium not to carry over to the CRM transactions?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: [Advanced] Tracking Enhanced Ecommerce goals for a session after the initial online session.

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey CV Deal,

I have not done this with UserID but have with ClientID, in theory I would expect all to work because of the relationship of USERID. That said, I can tell you that if the original client ID is not passed correctly, as it is a required parameter, the subsequent transactions would be direct/none.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: [Advanced] Tracking Enhanced Ecommerce goals for a session after the initial online session.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

I can't seem to figure out why it won't work using userId. clientId would be the unique GUA cookie ID right? If we would store that value with the application and pass it along with the CRM's API call's it should work?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi CVDeal,

That's exactly what we've done for a few clients, store the CID and then pass it back in.
It's fairly straightforward to query and works like a champ Smiley Happy . Here is one method:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookies-user-id#getting_the...

If you're using GTM, it's a little different but Simo Ahava has a great walk through here:

http://www.simoahava.com/analytics/improve-data-collection-with-four-custom-dimensions/#2

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

What we found is that for the clientId in the CRM system the value was constantly a fixed one (because we didn't have one...something like 100-000-000000-0001.

I think this has broken the reports where every session from the CRM got pulled away from the unification under the userId and pulled towards 1 huge session (100-000-000000-0001 ) all with the same source/medium. We're going to test if this was indeed the problem.

Thanks for the help so far!

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Yes, that is exactly the problem. You are telling GA that it's the same user so it can't match it up to the original source medium. The CID that you use in the Measurement Protocol needs to match the CID from the original session.

Cheers,

Theo
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

I think we have it working, not sure now if it's the userId that does the trick or the clientId, but we're seeing source/medium coming up for all transactions (also the ones coming in via the CRM package after the online session).

One question however, we now have 2 views within the property: a 'normal' view and a userId view which is created when turning userId on in GUA.

The normal view doesn't seem to do the trick, the userId view does (userId view does report on the CRM tranactions including its source/medium). However the userID view only reports on sessions which have a userId, all other sessions (which are all sessions without an online application) are not included.

Is it possible to make a view with userId turned on which also reports on all sessions without a userID (so both) so that we have the advantage of reporting all transactions with its source medium but can also see all sessions even without transactions to make all possible reports in this view?

Hope this makes sence :-)

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hey Nick,

You can stitch together in-session hits that occurred by adjusting the settings for user ID view.

I'm confused on why you are not seeing proper attribution in the normal view. Do you have Ecommerce enabled in that view (you mentioned transactions)? You should see similar data as the userid view is just a subset of all sessions, which includes all where a user logged-in and/or cross device behavior. One thing to note is that this will only clean up things moving forward and not the data that has already been collected.

Does that make sense?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo, I think I get what you mean, being the property collects the data and the view just shows you that data from that point on with the slected 'filters/settings' overlaying that data. The settings for both views are identical, the only difference is the userId view gets an extra report showing device overlaps. 

Im looking at both reports and for the userId view it shows correct source/medium for all transactions, and for the 'all view' it only shows the correct source/medium for the online transaction, but for the 3 transactions done by the CRM system it shows 'direct/none' for source/medium.

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Hey Nick,

If you are now capturing the clientid and pushing it back in with the source medium; you should start to see the correct cource/medium populate. It could be that these were direct...

If you want to do some extra work you could layer in a legacy GA tracker (async) and then parse the _utmz cookie for source/medium (you'll have to use manual tagging for AdWords in addition to the GCLID - not a best practice but it works). and then pass this into the CRM as another reference point.

At some point I expect the clientid to be exposed in the API so you could (probably) retroactively look it up at some point and compare.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn