Analytics
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Adding a Value to Custom Dimensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

Is it possible to add a value to a custom dimension?

For example I have a lead form where I capture a visitors role within a company, so i would like to assign a value to each role.

ie.

Director = 10

Manager = 5

Employee = 3

If I create a custom dimension called visitorRole and use GTM to push the value into the data-layer, is there a way I can also add a value it to, so when it comes to reporting we can give the leads generated a value. (enquiries from Directors have more value to us than Employees)

Any assistance or a point in the right direction would be great.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
August

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

A custom Dimension is a text field, and it holds a single text string. You could put anything you want into it, so it could store "Director,10" if you wanted. An alternative is to use a custom metric named 'director" with a numeric value of 10.  It all depends on whether the number is to be used numerically (sorted, added) or as an identifier (10 is a label).

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bronwyn V (Top Contributor)
August

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

A custom Dimension is a text field, and it holds a single text string. You could put anything you want into it, so it could store "Director,10" if you wanted. An alternative is to use a custom metric named 'director" with a numeric value of 10.  It all depends on whether the number is to be used numerically (sorted, added) or as an identifier (10 is a label).

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.