AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Adding Custom Dimensions - Hit? or Session?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am setting up custom dimensions to track internal marketing campaigns (banners and CTAs on my website). I keep going back and forth on whether these should be set up as "hits" or "sessions" in my scope. I have read and re-read the Help article but still cannot make a decision... can anyone help me based on their experience with custom dimensions?

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MyHDiet
January 2016

Re: Adding Custom Dimensions - Hit? or Session?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi MyHDiet,

I'd choose session scope. With hit scope I think you won't get tracked any conversions in that session. Hit scope is more for page properties, like page author or page topic. Clicking on a banner is mainly a session issue, maybe even a user issue.

Christoph

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Please elaborate on the example to make it easier to give you a detailed answer:
you have banners on your site and you want to create a custom segment within your GA to see what the people who used them do?

-------------------------

If you liked my answer best please 'mark as best answer' if I was helpful but not the best please 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MyHDiet
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi MyHDiet,

I'd choose session scope. With hit scope I think you won't get tracked any conversions in that session. Hit scope is more for page properties, like page author or page topic. Clicking on a banner is mainly a session issue, maybe even a user issue.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

Yes, that is essentially it. I have banners on my site and want to see how many people click them, etc. to track success of each type of banner ad and the location of the ad on the page. It will also help be look at user flow - if they click the banner ad, do they then go to the product, then purchase.

Thanks for the help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Christoph! I tend to agree - going to see what David says above for another person's input Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

there are a few ways
can use click events in the banners.
can use enhanced link attribution to tag any banner (especially if more than one on a page and going to same destination page
can view the destination pages in behaviour flow and see pathways to/through them
set up some custom segments

use the in-page analytics view to see heat maps and click maps for pages

-------------------------
If you liked my answer best please 'mark as accepted answer' if I was helpful but not the best please 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi,

this is not a simple matter as you require hit and session and user level answers. For instance:
1. Did the User click on an ad and bought
2. Did a session which contained an ad click end up in a sale
3. Did a particular ad click result in a sale (multiple ad clicks can be a part of a session or multiple sessions)

Part of these things can be solved by segments - user or session level - session with or user with an event + with a conversion or without.

The main issue here is the hit level analysis of which ad was actually responsible for the sales (tracking just clicks on ads is the easy part - events or pageviews with custom dimension (can be hit / session / user scope)) - think in terms of attribution - first ad click, last ad click, all ad clicks get some value?

So in short list all questions which you need an answer to and it can lead to multiple custom dimensions.

For instance:
1. Track if user who purchased had any interaction with an internal ad - event tracking, segment and optional user level CD
2. Track if a session with a purchase had any ad interaction - the same as 1 with an exception of a session scoped CD
3. Track all internal interactions - event tracking or pageview tracking with a hit level CD and posibly some cookie magic to deal with which ad lead to the sale (first, last, all as concatenated string)

Some weeks ago I wrote a small guide on how to track internal campaigns with GTM as a concept so this may be useful - http://escapestudio.net/how-to-track-internal-campaigns-using-google-analytics/

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I'd use the internal promotions feature of the enhanced ecommerce plug-in. With that you'll also be able to measure impressions of you banners.
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-ecommerce#measurin...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Tobias!

Adding Custom Dimensions - Hit? or Session?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Zorin, 
One question: I want to know if did the customer click on a a specific event and bought something. How can I say that? 
I'm collecting the last information about the event with an Hit Scope CD.
I'm trying to analyse the transaction, but for now I have 0 transaction.

What I'm missing ??thanks

Katia