Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Add Custom Dimensions to multiple Google Analytics Properties in bulk

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have a set up where I wish to add a standard list of 20 Custom Dimensions to all 50 properties of my Google Analytics account. Is there is better way to do it, other than manually entering the values?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sapna Handyal
June

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Sapna,

So the best way to leverage this is by having a programmer develop an interface in which you can select the accounts / properties in which you would like to do this and select the custom dimensions and then the program would loop through and do all of the insertions / catch error.

For an agency like ours, it makes sense for us to invest the time to do exactly that-- because we do things like this often.   For you, maybe not.  Smiley Sad  That's why I couched the API comment with "unfortunately".  That said, our fellow GACP's over at Analytics Pros wrote a nice post on how to do this via Google Apps Script:

https://www.analyticspros.com/blog/google-analytics/using-google-app-script-to-copy-custom-dimension...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Sapna,

Fortunately, it can be done.  Unfortunately, it requires the Management API.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/config/mgmt/v3/mgmtReference/management/customDime...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you, Theo.

I tried using the API to create custom dimensions and was able to create one successfully. However, the API does not provide an option to:

1. Insert more than 1 dimension per property, at a time OR

2. Insert one custom dimension for multiple properties together at one go

Can you please throw some light on how to achieve this?

Best Regards,

Sapna Handyal

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sapna Handyal
June

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Sapna,

So the best way to leverage this is by having a programmer develop an interface in which you can select the accounts / properties in which you would like to do this and select the custom dimensions and then the program would loop through and do all of the insertions / catch error.

For an agency like ours, it makes sense for us to invest the time to do exactly that-- because we do things like this often.   For you, maybe not.  Smiley Sad  That's why I couched the API comment with "unfortunately".  That said, our fellow GACP's over at Analytics Pros wrote a nice post on how to do this via Google Apps Script:

https://www.analyticspros.com/blog/google-analytics/using-google-app-script-to-copy-custom-dimension...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Spana, you just gave me a new idea for Da Vinci Tools - a Chrome extension I'm creating which is enhancing some features of GA & GTM with hacks, improvements and in the future, apps.

I will add this to the roadmap for future consideration - the concept would be to have a tool at the account level that would retrieve all custom dimensions and custom metrics, a bit like the "All Filters" allow you to assign filters to your views. It could also be used to spot discrepancies in their definitions.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you very much, Theo. This was just what I was looking for!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Glad to know about your Chrome Extension, Stéphane. It does have some really cool features. 

Here is a suggestion though. You may want to have this extension named on the lines of GA / GTM. That way, it would be easier to find, among the pool of chrome extensions Smiley Happy

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

You are most welcome, happy analyzing!  Also @Stéphane Hamel does some brilliant stuff... I've used his tools since the early WASP days. 

Connect on LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Sapna (and thanks Theo for the shout!) - the marketing strategy for Da Vinci could be a very interesting discussion. As Theo mentioned, I created WASP - which stands for Web Analytics Solution Profiler, nearly 10 years ago and is still in use by over 30,000 users daily. Da Vinci is a play on the famous artist and creator, but also DA for Digital Analytics and "Vinci" which means "won" or "conquered" in latin. I'm counting on the quality of the tool, my existing network, reputation, and of course, some good old digital marketing too to spread the word about it. Soon, Da Vinci will be a most have for any serious GA fan! Smiley Wink