AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Assisted Conversion Revenue Calculations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

I was hoping someone would have the solution to the following scenario.

Our client tracks ROI from their AdWords using a combination of GA data as well as internal sales data. We want to include assisted conversion revenue (AdWords) into that calculation.

The problem is, there isn't a set figure that we can pull from GA that gives us AdWords only assisted conversion revenue data. Technically speaking, assisted conversions by definition double-count revenue. If you add up your 'direct or last click conversions' and your 'assisted' conversions, you'll get more revenue than your store generated.

What is the best and easiest way to get accurate revenue figure?

TIA! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Assisted Conversion Revenue Calculations

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Stephanie
1. Great! counting online and offline together is rare but fantastic

2. "Technically speaking, assisted conversions by definition double-count revenue." - I woudl say that they count revenue once but they 'claim attribution' for the revenue so if you were to add it to other last click revenue then 'you' would be double counting.

3. You can get AdWords only assisted conversions by going to Multi-Channel Funnels > Overview OR > Assisted Conversions then at the top you can set the Conversions included, Type (AdWords only), Look back window - is that what you were looking for?
You can also see AdWords as just last click in normal tables under Acquisition, and you can set up an attribution model under Attribution > Model Comparisons
-
What is the actual end result that you are looking for that cant be created by those report options?
I may be misunderstanding your question?
"pull from GA that gives us AdWords only assisted conversion revenue data" as I think you can do that from any of those by selecting AdWords or using a segment

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

Thanks for answering.

The end result we are looking for is an assisted conversion revenue figure that we can add to our ROI calculations. For example, "AdWords generated an extra $5000 in assisted conversions in October". I don't mind which attribution model is used to calculate this figure - whether it's position based or linear or whatever - just need a figure!

I know we can see the volume of assisted conversions AdWords contributed to. We can also see the total revenue that AdWords assisted conversions generated inclusive of the other channels but yes, as you clarified - we can't add that as we'd be double counting revenue...

I hope this makes sense! It's a bit tricky to explain!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You have total site rev of say 10k for the month
Last click attribution for adwords is say 1k
You pick an attribution model say linear then you have all your site revenue laid over that and nothing is double counted just weighted as desired.
So let's say you have that 10k split equally over say five channels so adwords is 2k
Then you are saying 'how can we get another figure to show what other assisted conversions adwords was involved in"
So now you have a weighted attribution of value to adwords of 2k and then you can see that adwords was also involved in the pathway for another 3k of the remaining 8k
But that has 'already been accounted for in your weighted attribution' - this is the sticking point

You can keep separate figures to show that adwords was
A. last click for 1k
B. linear attribution of 2k
C. involved in the pathway for 5k
But you cannot add any of those together obviously as the use of an attribution model 'already takes assisted conversion into consideration' - that is the point of attribution models...

are we on the same page or am i missing something?

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yep we are on the same page!

I see - so essentially you're saying we can't get the exclusive figure we need yeah? :-(

Would subtracting something from something else work? That's vague I know - I tried looking at the figures and coming up with a formula with no success...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Stephanie,

each of the metrics listed answers a question and as David says these cannot be done as a SUM yet as separate entities in a report.

Last click conversions (standard reporting)
Use it to answer which of the channels is best in closing the sales / conversion. Note that in this case all other channels in the purchase path are not attributed.

Assisted and first click conversions (MCF reports)
Tell if a channel is present at a certain stage of the purchase channel (first or assist). For instance your adwords display campaign has 100 assisted and only 1 last click conversions atrributed. The conclusion would be that display is an esential part of the cycle and if using only standard reports you would probably turn it off. Instead the scenario opens a number of possible follow up actions: optimize landing page, increase audience reach and so on. The rationale would be if there were no display campaign would the conversion even happen?

Attribution model (I believe you need this one)
A model gives you the value and number of conversions based on a model of your choice - so if you use a linear model it will say the total value of a conversion will be distributed to all of the channels within a purchase path equaly - regardless of the channel position.

So if your request is a report which will include the value of all touch points inside the purchase path (first, assist, last) for a defined timeframe so as for last example display value is not only one conversion but also the value and count of assisted conversions - pick an attribution model which best suits your business and test if it makes sense. At first play with position based and time decay to get a feel how it compares to for example last non direct model.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin,

Thanks for your reply. It's an actual revenue figure that we are after....

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Stephanie,

yes it will report the revenue figure just make sure the only conversion selected in the upper drop down is the transaction without any additional goals.

Kind regards,
Zorin

P.S. the downside with MCF is that so far you cannot use some ecommerce dimensions with atrribution models such as transaction Id, product category, product name and similar so in short it is limited to traffic efficiency
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Zorin Escape gave a great extension to the answer with really good detail and it can be applied to # or $ of conversions.

@Stephanie C you want a revenue figure yes we get that, what i can't really understand is what revenue figure?

you know know how to get the total adwords rev. the first/last/linear/decay weighted adwords rev. the assisted adwords rev.

i am not sure what other rev figure there actually is?

with respect i think you might be trying to ask a question that has a flaw in it?

what will you be doing with this $figure?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

Sorry for the confusion in the question!

This is the calculation the client is trying to make.

AdWords revenue + AdWords Assisted Conversion revenue = Total AdWords revenue

Correct me if I am wrong here but one thing I should consider is the fact that due to the 30 day look back period for conversions, the AdWords revenue figure would technically be including any assist conversions anyway? Is that right?