AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

4 weeks of sales is less than 3 weeks of sales? (The 3 weeks is part of the 4 weeks)

S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

This is really vexing me:

When I specify 24 Jan to 20 Feb, I get approximately £10,000 in sales.

When I specify 24 Jan to 27 Feb, I get approximately £5,500 in sales.

Segments have not changed, nothing has changed.

I only changed the date.

Segments basically focus around User LevelMedium = CPC.

Only thing I can think of, is some Users came back a 2nd time between 20 Feb to 27 Feb, via a Medium that is not CPC.

Google Analytics then changes their Medium from CPC to their most recent medium.

How do I avoid this? I just want to isolate users that have had CPC/Paid Traffic as ANY part of their user journey.

2 Expert replyverified_user

4 weeks of sales is less than 3 weeks of sales? (The 3 weeks is part of the 4 weeks)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Let's check the easy one first:

What is the percentage above the graph when you apply your segment and different time periods?

Is it like: This report is based on 65.65% of sessions. Learn more
Or is it 
This report is based on 100% of sessions. Learn more

Because that can really screw you statistically speaking.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Antti,

Thanks for chipping in!

The graph for 24 Jan to 20 Feb is 66.9%.

The graph for 24 Jan to 27 Feb is 53.4%.

I understand the limitation on sampling - I'm already on "Greater Precision".

Do you think certain transactions are being left out because of the sampling?
Do you know of any other way to get all transactions?
If I try exporting the data I still get the sampled data - only way I can think is to export on a weekly basis, which would really be time-consuming.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

When talking about transactions sampling is not acceptable it will never match or be comparable.

I'm not sure what kind of report you are after exactly but what if you would make custom report where first dimension is medium and the drill down dimension is user level with appropriate metrics.

Let me know if you need more info.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

As long as you're not using user based metrics i.e. only session metrics such as revenue, then you can create a dashboard based solution to export your data in smaller enough chunks to avoid sampling. If you use the Google Analytics add on then you can automate this so it does not need to be time consuming. This lunametrics post describes this, and other methods to get around the sampling issue.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
S T
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey mate, could you link the lunametrics post please?

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

oops my bad - http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2013/06/24/solutions-google-analytics-sampling-problems-8-ways-data/

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.